Logo

Purple wires purpose?

ronchast

I've got a 1990 GT200 Evinrude that is set up for premix and the 4 wire connector coming from the VRO has a purple wire that looks like it went up under the Power Pack. It has been cut off clean and taped up... My buddy bought this engine sight unseen off the east coast and it has been a real challenge since we got it.

My factory manual does not show the purple wire or the VRO connector???? and I have not found it in the CDI data either. It is hot when the key is on and it will sound the oil alarm if grounded. This engine's oil alarm keeps going off even if this is not grounded after idling about 3 minutes. Can I just unplug the 4 wire connector coming from the VRO to the harness or will that set off the S.L.O.W. system?

VRo

Purple wire is 12v accessory that powers VRO and rectifier. Just unplug VRO connector if running premix. The cut wire is taped off it it has had the newer rectifier installed as its a sense type.

Thanks, There is a bluish looking wire that went to the old blue wire from the original regulator along with that purple wire. The three of them were connected to the far left terminal when I got this motor. After replacing the regulator, I'm not sure what to do with the bluish looking wire that went to the old regulator and the purple wire...

Forum GT200 Evinrude Regulator 1.jpg

Thanks everybody. I found out what the other wire was - the faded purple, bluish wire was a control wire from the switch, no longer needed either. Going to remove the purple wire and just dead end the bluish purple wire at the terminal block - in case anybody else runs into this.

Ron

Back