Logo

2004 300 HPDI auxiliary charging issues

Drew Bob

This past winter I installed new starting and house batteries. I also install a separate Perko switch for the house batteries. I kept the 1,2 or all Perko switch for the starting batteries. Who ever had wired the batteries before had installed the starting cable and auxiliary charging cables on the same terminal post. This time I separated the two wires as it should have been done in the first place. On a recent trip out I lost both of my Furuno monitors, one while we were fishing and the other on the way back in. After checking all of the connections, they were all tight, I found that the house batteries were only at 10.? volts, the starting batteries were at 13.?. I put the batteries on the Minn Kota charger over night and they were fully charged the next afternoon. I checked the fuses on the motors and they are all good. I only pulled the relay's out and put them back in, I don't know how to check to see if they are good. When I run the motors, the starting battery volts are at 14.? and the house battery volts are at 12.6 volts. So my first question would be - What's up with that? Do the engines have to be at a higher than idle speed for the auxiliary charging to come on? Where else should I start looking?

Back