Logo

Quick fix or leaking hull

Alan90

Hi guys,

Me and a friend have recently bought a 27ft clinker boat to do some fishing. Everything has been fine until recently when we noticed the auto bilge pump starting to run a bit more often than it should. Upon further inspection the boat appears to be taking in a small (but noticeable) amount of water from the front! Nothing the bilge pump can't handle but obviously it shouldn't be doing that and we would like to get it all sealed up sooner the better. Where the boat is moored she's only in water at high tides, when the tide goes out she sits on the bottom of the river so there would be an opportunity to seal the outside during this time. In the near future we plan to fiberglass the hull anyway but for now would like some sort of quick fix to patch her up and allow us to enjoy the summer. I've been told that bitumen paint on the outside of the hull is as good as anything for a quick fix but I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

Thanks for any help

like suggested before, you don't want to ignore or 'flat rate' this one.....until you know what the issue is, its just speculation.....

Once you find the breach, make sure it is thoroughly "dry" before you attempt any repair - not much will stick to wet fiberglass for a long period of time...

Haul her and do it right, or get more insurance and pray you won't get stranded 2 miles offshore floating in a life jacket waiting for "Sea Tow"!!

Back