Logo

1990 225 seadrive need help with NO SPARK

Jbchrisman

Thanks in advance for any and all help....
Okay so i picked up a pontoon boat with a 1990 225 seadrive on it for a good deal, or so i think.
I dont know a whole lot about these so will do my best to be descriptive.
The boat was running fine a season or so ago and then got to were it didnt want to plain out missing and stunbling just before the no spark condition.
I have checked the few things i know to like fixing magnets under flywheel and checking two yellow wires from under flywheel for power when cranking (it does have power) and for power to the coils.
Not really sure how to test the trigger, stator/rectifier or cdi box, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks

The 2 yellow wires are for the battery charging system I believe.------------And 12 volts is not used in making spark at the coils.----Start with a compression test ( rough running) is mentioned.---Inspect the starter / load test the battery / inspect battery cables.----Slow cranking means no spark at the plugs.-------Some " no money spent " checks to do.

The 2 yellow wires are for the battery charging system I believe.------------And 12 volts is not used in making spark at the coils.----Start with a compression test ( rough running) is mentioned.---Inspect the starter / load test the battery / inspect battery cables.----Slow cranking means no spark at the plugs.-------Some " no money spent " checks to do.

Thanks for your help.
I will do compression test asap. The starter was rebuilt a yr ago( doesnt mean to much i suppose), brand-new battery and new cables (lastweek).
It cranks pretty good i think but will have starter tested. Also cranked it over with all the plugs out and still no spark.

Spark test is to be performed with "all" of the spark plugs removed.

Remove the black/yellow wire (kill circuit) from the ignition switch temporarily... check spark. If you now have spark, replace the ignition switch.

Spark test is to be performed with "all" of the spark plugs removed.

Remove the black/yellow wire (kill circuit) from the ignition switch temporarily... check spark. If you now have spark, replace the ignition switch.

Okay i will try that when i get home from work. Thanks a bunch hadnt thought of that.

Okay i will try that when i get home from work. Thanks a bunch hadnt thought of that.

Update....im gonna take the starter in for rebuild cause its turning over really slow even with plugs out. I read that it needs to spin around 250 to 300 rpms, and i dont think its spinning that fast. Compression test when i get the starter back and unhooked the kill.

Update, so got the starter back today and put it back on.. Still no spark............
Not sure what to try next..
Any and all help is appreciated.

Update, so got the starter back today and put it back on.. Still no spark............ Not sure what to try next.. Any and all help is appreciated.

Just a reminder here.... although you now have a good electric starter and it cranks the engine over properly (hopefully), did you remember to temporarily disconnect the black/yellow wire for the ignition switch (and have the spark plugs removed) before you tested for spark again?

Well good news i got it running last night however i will need a new starter as the shop said the armature was bad so if any one has one they would sell let me know.
But it is sputtering back through a few of the carbs and will only run good through throttle for a few times then bogs like its not getting fuel but if let t idel for a few secs i can open it back up. This engine is on a saltwater pontoon (fiberglass).
The person bought it from installed an cheap autoparts store fuel pump and was not using the boats tanks. Also the vro pump was deleted by him to. Any info on this fuel system would be great, as im having a hard time trying to figure it out.
Thanks in advance for any an all help.

Any help would be great. Im still having problems with all the cylinders fluding and no power on the water. Like i said someone done away with vro and im not sure if i need to buy that pump or if their is cheaper option?

Back