Logo

AQ120/200 - AQ200 Drive input yoke repair or replacment drive options?

tdrudd87

Hello all,

I have a 1967 16' runabout powered by the Volvo AQ120/200 drive. This is the Volvo B18 4-cyl driving the AQ200 leg, the precursor to the 250-270-280 drives. I'm towards the end of a 8 year restoration on the boat, and just fired the engine again for the first time. That having gone well, I need to sort the drive.

During disassembly, I cracked the clamping ring (where the bellows clamps on the upper transmission), and also the input yoke U-joint. I'm most worried about the yoke, as the ear is slightly bent now and I'm not sure how I'd ensure alignment of the U-joint bearings even if I could weld it back together. Items 69 and 5.

Broken pieces.jpg

Any sources for this vintage of upper transmission parts? If not, what are my options for hanging a new drive on the existing transom shield/bellhousing? I'm curious, if I could find a 250 or 270 drive, if they'd fit on my transom shield, steering helmet, and bellow/water/linkage parts.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Terry

One thing I've found -

Can any of the pro's here weigh in about the splines on the 250-290 series universal joint set fitting into my upper transmission? The latest P/N I can find is 3860231, and some places still have it in stock. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=VOL3860231&pass_title=3860231+:

I'm going to try and disassemble enough to access this part later this week, just so i can count splines and throw a caliper on the shaft.

Still curious if it would be cheaper to find a donor boat and scavenge the leg, if it would fit.

Thanks,
Terry

Thanks,
Terry

I have a 1967 16' runabout powered by the Volvo AQ120/200 drive.
During disassembly, I cracked the clamping ring (where the bellows clamps on the upper transmission), and also the input yoke U-joint. I'm most worried about the yoke, as the ear is slightly bent now and I'm not sure how I'd ensure alignment of the U-joint bearings even if I could weld it back together. Items 69 and 5.

View attachment 15375

SEQ #6 is the universal shaft male yoke. This yoke splined shaft is much smaller than the 270, 280 etc.
You will need to find a 200 or 250 male yoke. I can look to see if I may have one.

The bearing crosses should be a Spicer style 5-1306X

SEQ #5 would be the clamping collar. This part will be unique to the 200 transmission.

Any sources for this vintage of upper transmission parts? If not, what are my options for hanging a new drive on the existing transom shield/bellhousing?
I'm curious, if I could find a 250 or 270 drive, if they'd fit on my transom shield, steering helmet, and bellow/water/linkage parts.
The 250 drive may be a substitute..... I'd need to give this some thought!

However, you would be ahead of the game if you were to change it all out to a 280 or later drive.
Your flywheel cover should mate up to the later style transom shield.
You will still need a course spline female yoke at the FWD end on the universal shaft.

One thing I've found -

Can any of the pro's here weigh in about the splines on the 250-290 series universal joint set fitting into my upper transmission?
The latest P/N I can find is 3860231, and some places still have it in stock. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=VOL3860231&pass_title=3860231+:

This is a later style universal shaft. Note the external bearing cap clips.
While you cannot view the male or female yoke splines........., I can tell you that this unit will not work for your 200 transmission.
3860231.jpg

I'm going to try and disassemble enough to access this part later this week, just so i can count splines and throw a caliper on the shaft.
Again, the 200/250 male yoke shaft/splines is much smaller than any of the later transmissions.

Last edited:
Hi Rick, thanks for the awesome info!

That's about what i expected on the new u-joint set fitting, thanks for confirming.

What would you expect to consider about switching a 250 leg on? Expediency is part of the game here, I really want to get this boat on the water but only plan to keep it a year or two - started this project when I was dating my wife, now we have one kid and planning on more - a 16ft boat won't won't suit us long!

I do have a line on a few 250 drives, some with and without the transom shield bits. I'm thinking I need to know bellows sizes, steering helmet and tilt pivot pin locations, and u-joint splines. Anything else?

Thanks,
Terry

Rick,

I forgot to mention, I would be interested in the male yoke if you have one, and I'm able to disassemble mine far enough to confirm it would fit.

Thanks,
Terry

A few options for donor boats I'm looking at, any insight would help-

1989 Baretta with a 250 drive, supposedly works fine except won't fire. $500, hour away from home
1986 Bayliner with a 275 drive, missing lift motor. $500, 4 hours from home

Is the 275 drive worth the drive and effort of finding a lift motor?

Thanks,
Terry

Back