Logo

Carburetor question for 4.3 merc

Catfish Hunter

Hello - I recently purchased a 1987 sea ray with a 4.3 mercruiser. It runs pretty well overall but the carb clearly is in need of repair (floods out, choke plate stuck, etc). As best I can tell it has the stock 2bbl merc carb (based on the model# stamped on the carb). My question is; has anybody ever tried purchasing one of those off those off the shelf edelbrock or holley carbs from autozone and installed on this motor? Will it work? Will the linkage work? How do you adapt the elect choke? Better off just doing a rebuild on the stock carb?

Thanks!

First off if are planning on replacing the Carb you have to do it with a certified MARINE carburetor.

You cannot use a automotive style for many reasons. No need to know the exact reasons but there are many.

Rebuilding one is not difficult if you have prior experience. You will need your engines exact serial number and if there should be small metal plate held in place by one of the top bowl screws with a ID number on the carb that is needed also. The metal plate tends to get broken off and lost over time though.

There are many resources on the internet for already re-manufactured Mercarbs so maybe do some research first.

Here is a link to this web site for that carb.

It lists two different carb repair kits so knowing which carb you have is very important.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...7955-thru-0b773242/carburetor-mercarb-175-43l

Ayuh,.... The Edlebrock 1409 is the marine 4bbl. carb for that motor,....

You'll need a 4bbl. manifold, 'n the cable bracket for the Merc/ Weber 4bbl. carb merc used,....

The electric choke is hooked to the ignition circuit,...

As Jack infers, you don't want to blow yourself into the next life by cheaping out on a carb. Order the correct one either from our hosts or a reputable on line vendor.
A 4 barrel carb on a marine engine is pretty much overkill.

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to rebuild the mercarb. All went well and is running well (on the trailer, haven't taken to the lake yet). One more question, does anybody with this set up happen to have a photo or a diagram of the throttle linkage for this set up they can send me? I failed to take a decent photo of this before disassembling and have discovered it will go back on two ways, either way "works" but I obviously want it the correct way. Thanks!

Back