Logo

2007 WC Coastal Yamaha F250 intermittent loss of power and stall while underway

Hi, new to the forum.
I have a 2007 WC Coastal 290 with twin F250 with 375 hours on them.
I have been experiencing intermittent loss of power to a complete stall while under way.
First it was the Starboard engine then a few weeks later it was the port engine.
Last season mechanic said it was low/ high pressure fuel pump and replaced them on Starboard engine, all seemed good, he also cleaned VTL filter which was not that dirty Starboard engine.
This season I have put 5 hours on the boat and all was well but today after being out for 30 minutes the port engine went out same way the Starboard did last year. It seemed starved for fuel. I checked the fuel line ball and it was semi collapsed. I primed it a few times and the engine restarted but then died again when I tried to take off.
My mechanic said on the phone that it is probably a bad fuel line and that is the cause.
When I hung out for 15 minutes with both engines off and then restarted the boat ran great all the way back home at 4000RPMs at 31 MPH
My questions are:

1. Could this be a clog in the fuel tank that feeds both fuel lines because this does not happen all of the time.
2. Both water separators were without water.
3. Could this be a collapsed fuel line
4. Could it be one of the sensors
5. The ball was definitely collapsed the engine was pulling for gas but none was coming.

I am not sold that the fuel pumps were not working in this case.

Is there a screen or strainer in the fuel tank that can be clogged, clogging the fuel lines

Thanks for your help .

Dan

Back