Logo

Honda 225 oil leak

Luferfish

I have 2 honda 225 outboard. Still under warranty. I noticed oil leak from both engines at 30 hours.
Starboard had five, Port had 6 repairs to the areas of: 1)Mound case seal 2) Block and crank case cover 3) Shift shaft. Both engines are still leaking oil. According to the serial numbers there are 522 engines out there between my engines I am sure they have the same problems. Any advice? Thanks.

That certainly shouldn't be happening. Either have your dealer get the regional rep involved or call Honda Customer Service. The number is 770-497-6400.

I have done all that. They want me to take my boat to dealer again and again. It costs me almost $ 800 to take it there and they fail to repair it. Two worst lemons I had in my life. I had total 11 repair attempts. Still leaking oil.

Luferfish - this situation is appalling. These are very good, reliable engines - the best of the big outboards in my opinion. Something is definitely screwy and if I were in your shoes I'd be raising H**L. All of this should be covered under warranty, and you should not be paying anything. How come it's costing $800 per trip to the dealer?

I have the same trouble 2006 BF225 engines. Both engines have oil leak, starboard is oil pump seal, port engine still needs to have powerhead removed.

I have the same trouble 2006 BF225 engines
Although we'd all like there to be no Hondas with oil leaks I'm not sure you can compare 11 year old engines with a pair of engines that have only done about 30 hours.
Hope you get fixed.

I know Honda has a great reputation which is one of the reasons I was comfortable buying the boat. The mechanic says Honda oil leaks are rare but he has fixed a few over the years, just fixed a 225 for the Coast Guard with the same problem. In my case it was most likely lack of use, engines horizontal most of the summer and vertical in the winter.

I live on the water. Do not have trailer. I have to rent it or take it to the marina. They use travel lifts for catamarans and keeping it at the marina costs that much. One dealer is not on the water. Waterfront dealer will not touch it with 10 foot pole.

Did you buy this boat new from a dealer? Why won't the waterfront dealer handle this problem? Any authorized Honda Outboard dealer should handle warranty repairs. Furthermore, any decent dealer would do an on-water test after any work to make sure the problem is fixed. Given the cost of these engines, you likely have viable legal recourse. If this happened to me, I definitely would be talking to a lawyer at this point. Let the lawyer make a few calls on your behalf.

Also, if you happen to be a member of BoatUS or have your boat insurance through them, they have a dispute resolution service that is supposedly excellent. It's free for members. See: http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2013/June/consumer-protection-problems-and-solutions.asp

On the water said they will help me with this problem. Next day he called and said I talked with my mechanic he said tere is more involved with it. We do not have any room for your boat. I said I will wait. He said I can not take catamaran out of the water I might damage your boat. They have travel lift I took the boat out with it last 10 years for bottom paint. He did not want to have anything
to do with oil leaking Hondas. I got the message and left. There is something Honda is not telling me. I lost all my comfort with Honda. I do not trust these engines to go out any more. I think I need legal help.

Yep, if the dealer won't take care of the problem, and Honda customer service rep can't provide a remedy and won't help with transport, seems like that's the next step.

Having said that, my experience with my 2007 BF 225 has been excellent. Just under 2000 hours and no really serious problems.

Back