Logo

1996 115 v4 2 stroke leaking water from bottom of motor ????????

rowch01

Ok guys, Im brand new to this forum and Im brand new to owning an outboard engine. I purchased a 19' Mako Center Console last weekend and was told that there was " a hole" in the block. Im going to be honest I have not had a chance to diagnose the problem yet. Im looking for starting point suggestions at this point. I was told it is leaking water when running from the bottom of the engine. The seller said his Marina tech told him a hole corroded thru the engine block. Im not sure this proves to be sure as there would be allot of others out there with this problem and the rest of the engine has very little corrosion and appears to be in good overall condition.
I spoke with someone that sells a ton of used Yamaha outboards and they said it could possibly be a cracked/leaking water jacket near one of the lower cylinder head bolts or possibly a leaking head gasket.
Im unsure as to where I should start diagnosis however I suppose I just need to get it running and see where its leaking from to start.
Is there any common issues with the 115 yamaha 2 stroke v4 engines that would fall into this category that would start to narrow down my issue ?
I am very mechanical and can pull the motor apart on my own so im not afraid to get my hands dirty on this. ANy help or suggestions would be excellent. I dont have any photos or videos just yet.

Back