Logo

White Smoke 502 GM

captmorgan

Common 502 GM block, 8.2L engine

Hello,

i use on my commercial Jetboat a 502 GM engine. Since yesterday he make white smoke from the exhaust.

How the Problem starts:

- i tok the boat from lift and make a slowly warm up. it smell gasoline (not extremly, prehaps etwas more than usual.)

- reach the boarding dock, i refuele the tank gasoline - after i start the enginge

- take the guest und go slowly the chanel and start the trip, press the pedal to 3200 rpm, its comes a clanking/clapper/rattle noise, when i reach the rpm the noice stopped, (as soon i don't push on the gas pedal) the noise disappears.

- then the smoke starts,

Link Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8lh295ugro5fii5/AACkzpbBXkrh9XefglThQIk1a?dl=0

View attachment 15306
View attachment 15307

white smoke in the exhaust usually means coolant is entering the combustion chamber.....being as your exhaust is 'buried' below the water line, its hard to say if that's the case here....especially if its a raw water cooled setup.

can't say I got much out of the videos....

Any 'sheen' on the water (fuel) with the engine running??

Hi Makomark,

i will try to get betetr videos when the exaust out of the water. yes it pall behind exaust maybe oil or gasoline. i will try to check this too2017-05-01-PHOTO-00002111.jpg

Last edited:
white smoke in the exhaust usually means coolant is entering the combustion chamber.....being as your exhaust is 'buried' below the water line, its hard to say if that's the case here....especially if its a raw water cooled setup.

can't say I got much out of the videos....

Any 'sheen' on the water (fuel) with the engine running??

Hi Makomark,

i will try to get betetr videos when the exaust out of the water. yes it pall behind exaust maybe oil or gasoline. i will try to check this too 2017-05-01-PHOTO-00002111.jpg

what's the level of coolant in the heat exchanger? why is the hose to the overflow bottle kinked?
the "wet" pic of the dipstick appears out of focus - any indications what has raised the oil level?
You compression numbers are marginal but don't know how your test was done.....

given the few pieces of data, I'd be inclined to start the diagnosis for a head gasket leak via a leakdown test or a pressure tester on the HX.....

what's the level of coolant in the heat exchanger? why is the hose to the overflow bottle kinked?
the "wet" pic of the dipstick appears out of focus - any indications what has raised the oil level?
You compression numbers are marginal but don't know how your test was done.....

given the few pieces of data, I'd be inclined to start the diagnosis for a head gasket leak via a leakdown test or a pressure tester on the HX.....

Hi its works the test? The hose was knigged because was not complet close.

Back