Logo

OMC 4.3L newbie help please

jason424

My wife's friend has a 1987 Forester with the OMC 4.3L sterndrive. She brought it in to marine shop last Fall as her son didn't winterize it the year before and knew the freezing temp got to it. They stated the exhaust manifolds and the power steering cooler needs to be replaced as both are cracked when tested with a "barb" (not sure what that is). They stated no water leaking from the block.
I want to replace the manifolds and cooler for her to get her back on the water but am not sure where to source the manifolds or cooler and which part numbers are needed to replace as I don't know the year/model. There is a silver tag on the manifold that is half ripped off that only shows the SER. No. As well, for those that have done it, is it pretty straightforward? I do alot of wrenching on my truck (brakes/hubs/spring conversions) but nothing like a manifold. Any one possibly have a service manual?

I appreciate any help you could give me.
Thanks,
Jason

They stated no water leaking from the block.

Ayuh,..... Until somebody does an air pressure test on the drained block, to verify it ain't cracked, I recommend ya don't spend any money on it,...

It's quite likely it's cracked Internally, rather than externally,...

Good evening gentlemen I have a 1970 Johnson Surfer with a 305 Buick 225 hp the boat was just giving to me. The motor wasn't froze but the stern drive water pump was froze it blew the exhaust hoses replaced the stern water pump and exhaust hoses. Turned the motor over and it fired right up. Got to the lake and on the water 30 minutes later she started smoking and died. Got towed to the boat dock she fired right up still smoking pretty good. Was able load her under her own power. My question is what do I need to check first before going into a total overhaul. All help would be greatly apperciated.

Good evening gentlemen I have a 1970 Johnson Surfer with a 305 Buick 225 hp the boat was just giving to me. The motor wasn't froze but the stern drive water pump was froze it blew the exhaust hoses replaced the stern water pump and exhaust hoses. Turned the motor over and it fired right up. Got to the lake and on the water 30 minutes later she started smoking and died. Got towed to the boat dock she fired right up still smoking pretty good. Was able load her under her own power. My question is what do I need to check first before going into a total overhaul. All help would be greatly apperciated.
It is not polite to hyjack someone elses thread please start your own thread!

My question is what do I need to check first before going into a total overhaul.

Ayuh,..... Yer sanity,... There's virtually Zero parts available for that motor, 'n drive,....

Obsolete,.... Dead,.... Gone,....

Back