Logo

Recoil spring assembly Johnson 3.3

Pitz

I have a 1994, 3.3 hp Johnson. I am trying to install a new spring. I cannot get the inner hook connected to the recoil piece which holds the rope. The new spring is not curved enough to reach the slot in the recoil piece which slides down over the center shaft. Thus I cannot slide the recoil housing down onto the spring to attach it. I am reluctant to just bend the spring. Is there a secret method to connecting the spring in the slot? I have read th manual and seen the rewind videos. But they dont cover this problem. I suspect the original spring was made so that the slot and hook would come into alignment when properly placed. Bending is probably the only option but it is hard to bend it in a curve.

Springs attach to the pulley in various manners, the most common being wedged in a slot or hooking over a pin.

Notice how the old spring curved to connected to the pulley of your engine.... notice that the new spring (any new spring) is almost perfectly straight.

Yeah... you guessed it... you need to bend the new spring somewhat. I use regular pliers, occasionally long nose pliers. Let us know how you make out.

Yes bending it worked. Many ties; many c words. But then it wont turn the shaft. Took plug out and it looked wet. Afraid it might have frozen up over the winter. Drat.

Back