Logo

1972 Tohatsu B38B? ID & Wiring diagram

O2213

Hi Guys,

I need some help in identifying my Tohatsu outboard purchased a few days ago.

There are no serial numbers or identifying marks to be found, and unsure of hp was suggested it is 15hp?. The best match I have found online is a picture from the Tohatsu 60th anniversary press release shown here.

http://www.tohatsu.de/media/docs/up...atsu 60th Anniversary Booklet_Final-WEB-1.pdf

Mine matches in design the 1972 B38B (see pics) but I have not managed to find any more information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 48
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 51
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 55
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 37
Exactly what is it you want to do with this motor? No parts are available, so it would not be a good choice to run on a boat at this point. Tohatsu might like to have it for restoration and display in their offices.

Thanks Paul. I was looking to get it running and on my boat. In the time since I posted I have managed to get her running :D Still needs some work though.

I'm in the UK and I'm expecting a call from Tohatsu UK on Tuesday, I'll see if they're interested.

I found this old advert for a B38B 25hp, https://www.nettivene.com/en/moottori/tohatsu/668672 did they have different sizes or is mine likely to be 25hp?

I was lead to believe that this would be a re branded Yamaha, if so would I find Yamaha parts to fit?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
You have an obsolete antique. No, it has nothing to do with Yamaha. Since it is a points-style ignition, sourcing points will be a challenge. Likewise, water pump parts are NLA, so you will be looking for ordinary maintenance bits quite a bit. Tohatsu in Japan may be able to tell you the year of manufacture and hp, but again, since you will have difficulty keeping it serviced, you are better off seeing whether Tohatsu would like it for display purposes.

Back