Logo
Click for Suzuki Manuals, Parts and Model Guides!

Thread: low compression

Default low compression

Hi. I've recently purchased a suzuki dt55 longshaft outboard motor and had it serviced to find out it has low compression in one cylinder. I was told it wasn't worth doing. Any advice on saving it.

Default Re: low compression

Maybe check for blown head gasket.

Thanks racer one. I'm just trying to get a few stubborn bolts out. I might have to strip it down more to get the head gasket off. Also there was no tag on the engine when I got it and I have no indication of how old or what exactly model the engine is. The only tell tale is the tilt and trim is outside the mounting bracket which means it's around early 80s. Any other way of knowing the model so I can order the right gasket

Post a pic, I will tell you what model it is ...

Quote Originally Posted by deejaycee_2000 View Post
    Post a pic, I will tell you what model it is ...
    Can't figure out how to send a pic I'm new to this. I got the head off and good news. The gasket was bad but the cylinders and pistons were perfect. It was losing compression through the water cooling chamber. There's a slight bit of water damage on the head like erosion so I'm gonna have it skimmed to take it back away from the water cooling channel. Any advice on how to fill the hole. It's over a millimetre deep at most so not sure if skimming will get rid of it all I doubt it will. I sheared a four bolts in the process so any tips on how to get theverything out would be good too. Two of the bolts sheared off up close to the block but two are sticking out a bit so maybe not so bad. I'm putting wd40 spray on them regularly as I can before I do anything with them. How do I send a few pics. Thanks, Richard

You can weld it up, but you need someone that knows how to weld aluminium .... epoxy will be a quick fix but won't last all that long ... the 2 bolts that are sticking out you can remove with alot of heat and patients .... the other 2 you will have to drill out and re-tap .... to post pics you have to reply "go advance" and then manage attachments to upload you rpic.