Logo

NS40D2 Plus remote stopped running mid stream....

swest77

4 years running without issues. stopped dead en route to friends dock .

No start up , it set for hour , later under tow, I held choke in and rasied idle arm all the way open and started. ?

1. Ran carb cleaner under load.
2. replaced plugs
3 checked fuel filter
4. Checked fuse, (not sure what its for)
5. Checked quick release wrist band stop
6. Sprayed starter fluid .
7 New battery

Turns over but no start... bad gas do this ? hum............help. someone said possible flooding due to jets/ needles ?
not even starter fluid .works...

Diagnose. Don't guess. That battery was an expensive experiment, and likely not needed -- they can be tested.
Check plugs... wet = either flooded or no spark; dry = no gas.
Spraying carb cleaner through the throat does not clean a carb; it makes the air passage shiny.
The fuse is for electric start and charging.
If it is cranking well, the battery is good enough to start.
If no spark (you must test), verify the safety stop switch is working correctly (you need an ohm meter for that).
In most cases, the issue is the fuel system, but that will not usually cause it to stop when cruising.

Thanks
Battery was a back up . How do you test the stop switch ? I have a Ohm meter. I wiggled the stop switch , girl friend turned key as had a spark plug out and connected to test spark. Of course fired right up , with a half turn. hum since then started 6 times. where do I put the positive /negative wires on kill switch.?
thank you fro reply.

Was old gas used on first start of this year? Was engine run dry of fuel,when winterized last season,, Might need to pull carb. off,soak carb. overnight,thoroughly scrub every nook and cranny,port and orafice,then blast withclean pressurized water,following with dry compressed air,rebuild and reassemble with a new complete carb. kit

Was old gas used on first start of this year? Was engine run dry of fuel,when winterized last season,, Might need to pull carb. off,soak carb. overnight,thoroughly scrub every nook and cranny,port and orafice,then blast withclean pressurized water,following with dry compressed air,rebuild and reassemble with a new complete carb. kit

Where did this "flush with water" stuff come from? For a good flush after a soak in carb dip, use generic spray carb cleaner.

Thanks
Battery was a back up . How do you test the stop switch ? I have a Ohm meter. I wiggled the stop switch , girl friend turned key as had a spark plug out and connected to test spark. Of course fired right up , with a half turn. hum since then started 6 times. where do I put the positive /negative wires on kill switch.?
thank you fro reply.
You need a Factory service manual (not an aftermarket manual) from any dealer.
If you don't understand how to test with an ohm meter, get a friend who does, or see your dealer.

Same gas , new tank of gas every week or week and a half, I run this probably two hours a week. ,have new gas now .
So seems like a short, it started randomly perfect with 1/4 turn of ignition , BAM. 6 times. ran it for 20 min. on , off on off...no carb problem , even seems quieter now. no choking. no hiccups. ...solid running. like always.... then it sits, and no start. . I'm in Newport beach California, I run this year round. no winterized need here.. going to jump to kill switch forum , see what I can learn....

You need a Factory service manual (not an aftermarket manual) from any dealer.
If you don't understand how to test with an ohm meter, get a friend who does, or see your dealer.

Ok new info : This am NO START , I removed top spark plug wire and plug. then put it all back in. turned it over started right up.?

Really confused. would a bad spark plug wire cause no start.?
thanks
steve west

You don't do an ohm test with engine running, An ohm test is done to measure the resistance of the wire in question to see if it's intact or has a break in it," OPEN"

Back