Logo

Mercruiser 4.3L TKS blowing fuse when cranking

Brandon1326

I have a 2007 Crownline 19ss with a Mercruiser 4.3l TKS Mercarb engine serial # OW670023. The problem that I am having started when I couldn't kill the engine after running for about 2 hours. The engine would continue to run after turning the key off and removing it along with flipping the kill switch. Finally stopped the engine by tripping the 50a circuit breaker. Then after resetting the breaker the fuel pump would continue to run. I then turned the battery switch off and of course everything shut down. When it was time to head back to the ramp, turned the battery back on and the fuel pump started again even with the key off. Started the boat and returned to the ramp.

The next day I began to search for the problem and found that the purple and yellow stripe wire attached to the starter solenoid had a small nic so I wrapped it with electrical tape and started the boat to see if that was the problem. Since then the fuel pump doesn't continually run and the motor will turn over a few times before a 15a fuse in the wiring harness (red/purple stripe & pink/purple stripe wires) on the rear of the engine blows, which then kills all power to the ignition switch and audible alarm. My trim, blower and lights all still have power along with power to both sides of the circuit breaker. After replacing the fuse, power is restored to everything and the key works in aux and on without blowing the fuse. The fuse only blows when you turn to start. So far I have replaced the TKS diode, oil pressure switch and a relay (1st pic) that's tied into the harness without any luck. It should also be noted that when I unplug the purple and purple with yellow stripe wires from the oil pressure switch, the engine will turn over and over and sometimes crank and run for a few seconds without the fuse blowing.

Any ideas or suggestions of what this may be. Thanks in advance

unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (1).jpgunnamed.jpg

Back