Logo

nlcary

I know NOTHING about I/O engines, but am looking at a 2006 bayliner 175 18 foot with a MerCruiser 3.0L 135hp. I don't need new, fancy or powerful. This will be my first boat. 197 acre lake, maybe a little water skiing for the kids and grandkids. What questions do I need to ask, and what do I look for to make sure I'm not being misinformed? My husband will be with me when I look at it, but he is not a mechanic. I'm even worse. I'm sorry if this is a preschool level question.......

Ask for service records for the engine, bring a mechanic friend and run a compression test on cylinders and definitely a test run on open water. In my opinion a bayliner is at the bottom of the food chain,not a big fan, one of the least expensive boats on todays market. There will be plenty of replies coming positive and negative

I don't know what the asking price is for this boat, but "johnnygjr" is correct.

1) Check asking price against one of the on line used boat price websites.
2) Consider hiring a marine surveyor. Get one that can and will do an engine evaluation in addition to hull condition. Survey not usually done on boats that small, however, given your level of experience...Money well spent.

Before purchasing any boat from a private sale insist to lake test it first.

The most common phrase that you will hear from a private seller is "the boat ran perfectly last season, no problems".

If you here this and the seller refuses to lake test the boat then walk away.

If and when you lake test the boat then come back with any questions on your observations.

One thing you could try, if you know someone who has experience with a boat of similar design, and if they know a fair amount about how they work, how to use them and the controls, as in shifting and throttle and understand how they perform and sound and how the aux systems work such as trim, how the gauges should read such as temp and volts that would be a very good thing. These are all very important things to understand.

As someone who used to have to take potential customers and buyers of new and used boats out on the water and basically train them on use and function, what to do and what not to do and how things worked on a basic level so they understood why things needed to be done a certain way. It is all in the "trainer".

Non EFI boats are very manual in nature. The operator must control the boat. It is not like today's cars where you just turn the key and the computer takes over.

good luck!

Assuming the boat is in good mechanical condition, this is a NICE combination for a Newbie. That motor/ combo is a great runner, delivering good top end speed and pulling skiers (with the right prop).

My first I/O was a 19 ' Bayliner with that motor/ combo. Loved it.

Jeff

I would agree that Bayliner primarily offers entry level boats.

Bayliner (i.e., Brunswick Boat Group and the Brunswick Corporation) owns Mercury Marine, so you will be limited to Mercruiser stern drives.
Since the later and smaller Bayliner boats are typically equipped with Merc's A drive, you will be limitted to the Dog Clutch gear engagement system.

If you are willing to look at some of the other manufacturers, you will see both Mercruiser and Volvo Penta stern drives.
With Volvo Penta, all stern drives will use Cone Clutch gear engagement, similar to Merc's B drives of which now incorporate Volvo Penta's cone clutch design.
You may need to pay a bit more for one with Volvo Penta, but typically the resale value will reflect this when it comes time to sell!

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with owning the 3.0L with an A drive...... but perhaps this is something to consider!

Last edited:
Ditto on getting it surveyed by a reputable mechanic. Also check the deck and structure good. Bayliners are good boats but if neglected and left out in the elements the deck and foam under the deck is subject to water damage. The bowriders are nice family water sport/fishing boats if properly taken care of.

I would agree that Bayliner primarily offers entry level boats.

Bayliner (i.e., Brunswick Boat Group and the Brunswick Corporation) owns Mercury Marine, so you will be limited to Mercruiser stern drives.
Since the later and smaller Bayliner boats are typically equipped with Merc's A drive, you will be limitted to the Dog Clutch gear engagement system.

If you are willing to look at some of the other manufacturers, you will see both Mercruiser and Volvo Penta stern drives.
With Volvo Penta, all stern drives will use Cone Clutch gear engagement, similar to Merc's B drives of which now incorporate Volvo Penta's cone clutch design.
You may need to pay a bit more for one with Volvo Penta, but typically the resale value will reflect this when it comes time to sell!

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with owning the 3.0L with an A drive...... but perhaps this is something to consider!

Again totally unrelated and un needed information.

Does anyone think based on the Original post that they, the potential buyers have any clue on what the F a clutch dog gear design is or a cone clutch design is ?????
Really??????????????????

I would recommend skipping over that post.

And for the record and to correct bogus information again................ Brunswick boat group/Brunswick Corporation owns Bayliner. Purchased it in the early 90's, not the other way around.

Actually a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into any and all information you get is in general good info. All manufacturers put out quality equipment and preventive maintenance determines the condition of the boat. I think the point Ricardo is making is do the research before pulling the trigger. You have two choices it can be expensive or it can be real expensive.

Again totally unrelated and un needed information.
Let's allow nicary to make that decision!

Does anyone think based on the Original post that they, the potential buyers have any clue on what the F a clutch dog gear design is or a cone clutch design is ?????
Really??????????????????
Then let's educate nicary! You explain the Dog Clutch, and I'll explain the Cone Clutch.... fair enough?

And for the record and to correct bogus information again................ Brunswick boat group/Brunswick Corporation owns Bayliner. Purchased it in the early 90's, not the other way around.
Perhaps re-read my post.
Note the "i.e.," in parenthesis, followed by "Brunswick Boat Group and the Brunswick Corporation"!

Jack, this is an open forum where we all have the priviledge of participating. To my knowledge, you are not the ME.com forum editor, warden, security guard, or police force! If you do not like what someone else has to say, then simply quit reading their responses.
Furthermore, it's high time for you to stop being threatened by what other members have to say as though your suggestions are of no value.
It's that simple!!!!!

nicary has posted only once, and I'm sure that he was expecting a warm welcome followed by some genuine information. If you continue
with your ill attitude, you will contribute to driving members such as nicary away.

No one wants to read your responses that are laden with your ill attitude.
Please leave your ego behind, stop being threatened and play nicely!

Last edited:
Actually a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into any and all information you get is in general good info. All manufacturers put out quality equipment and preventive maintenance determines the condition of the boat. I think the point Ricardo is making is do the research before pulling the trigger. You have two choices it can be expensive or it can be real expensive.

Yes, and thank you Kim.

My take on boat ownership:
Boats are rarely investments and are typically and almost always expenses.
Do not plan on recovering your initial cost when the time comes to sell.

If you have $xx,xxx tied up in your vessel, and if you use it for XX years, simply add the initial cost (plus your maintenance expenses), now subtract your selling price from that number, and then divide that number by the sastifactory years of enjoyment.
This number will be what is cost you for each year of family enjoyment.

It will be very close to that of Alpine snow skiing, white water rafting, snowmobiling, camp trailer camping, etc.

..nicary has posted only once, and I'm sure that he was expecting a warm welcome followed by some genuine information. If you continue
with your ill attitude, you will contribute to driving members such as nicary away.
No one wants to read your responses that are laden with your ill attitude.
Please leave your ego behind, stop being threatened and play nicely! ......................

Yes, she has posted only once and you have already started with too much and unneeded information.

It is your influx of unneeded information that drive members away.......you confuse the sh!t out of them.

No one wants all the unneeded garbage you post over and over and over verbatim on every subject.

Reread her first post.............""I know NOTHING about I/O engines,......................... What questions do I need to ask, and what do I look for to make sure I'm not being misinformed? My husband will be with me when I look at it, but he is not a mechanic. I'm even worse. ......................"""

Does that sound like anyone who wants to know the difference between cone clutch and clutch dog????

To them it probably sounds like a type of ice cream cone and a breed of dog..........

Why would anyone reference something like that based on the OP knowing NOTHING ABOUT BOATS?

This was a basic question on what to look for when purchasing a used boat. Not how it works!!

It is YOU that is getting the attitude no one else..........Take the hint and go to and stay at the Volvo Penta forum and let them drink your Koo-laid!!

Back