Logo

Honda 225 Oil Leak!

maxthrottle

Contributing Member
My Mercury mechanic attempted to replace the water pumps on my starboard 2006 BF225 today. When he removed the lower unit he said a steady tream of oil was coming of what he thought was the main crankshaft seal. From fear of losing all of the engine oil he reassembled it without replacing the water pump. Boat is on the hard in OCNJ. Anyone suggest a Honda mechanic?
Thanks,
Bob

Not an expert, but oil coming out with the lower unit out seems indicative of an over filled engine? Do you perform your own oil changes? Never had that happen when I have pulled the lower on my 06 200.

The oil is engine oil that I'm told was streaming out of the shaft bearing when the lower unit was removed to change the water impeller. I did see this, my Mercury mechanic was working on this yesterday. He said he put it all back together, without replacing the impeller, he thought all of the oil would drain out. I think it's a bad thing If you drop the lower unit to change the impeller and see engine oil? The Merc mechanic is ucomfortable doing a big repair job o a Honda, looking for a Honda mechanic near OCNJ to help with the job

Does the engine lose oil? There is a seal housing mounted to the block. The rear main seal rides on the crankshaft, not the drive shaft. Maybe you have a small leak and the oil built up in the mid section over a period of time and the mid section bearing held it till the lower was dropped? Could be an oil pan leak, that would leave oil in the same place. Heck, it could be someone trying to fill the oil and missing the spout, that would drain doin into the midsection too, I think. Either way, I see no way all of the oil is going to leak out. Most should be in the pan. I still think it could be over filled with oil too. Remember, this is just a Honda minivan block on a stick. In many regards it is much easier to work on than when they put it in a car chassis. Easy access to all the main bits.

Does the engine lose oil? There is a seal housing mounted to the block. The rear main seal rides on the crankshaft, not the drive shaft. Maybe you have a small leak and the oil built up in the mid section over a period of time and the mid section bearing held it till the lower was dropped? Could be an oil pan leak, that would leave oil in the same place. Heck, it could be someone trying to fill the oil and missing the spout, that would drain doin into the midsection too, I think. Either way, I see no way all of the oil is going to leak out. Most should be in the pan. I still think it could be over filled with oil too. Remember, this is just a Honda minivan block on a stick. In many regards it is much easier to work on than when they put it in a car chassis. Easy access to all the main bits.

Yes, this could be possible, would love to have it turn out to be something simple. I bought the boat last October 2006 BF225's have 220 hours on them, probably used it 3 times and 12 hours or so last year before being winterized, didn't notice any oil problem at all. Had the mechanic change the engine oil and lower unit, flush etc before winter. Just got to the water impellers on the list yesterday and noticed the oil leaking down the shft from the main seal he thought. I didn't see it and it was raining like crazy at the time so the teck just buttoned it up for fear of losing all the oil from the case

Did u have a recent oil change on it? Sometimes oil will collect under the oil filter when changing the filter. It could've possible sat there for a while .

Don't think the engine is losing oil. Just bought in last fall with 215 hours put 10 hours or so on the engine everything fine until yesterday when the lower unit can off to replace the imprllers and oil was streaming out the main seal. Honda tech says it's oil pump seal? Power head needs to come off 1-2 day job

Somehow engine oil is getting on the driveshaft when the lower unit was removed. I don't think oil spil would be able to get there, no oil noticeable on the outside of the engine in inside the cowling.

I'd suggest removing the leg and waiting till all the oil stops draining/leaking/dripping and then checking the crankcase level.

I don't understand if "all the oil leaked out" how putting it back together is going to fix it.

That's a good idea, have another Honda mechanic looking it today, he's pretty certain it is a shot oil seal of some kind and everything in there can only be replaced by pulling the powerhead?

I don't see how the pump seal is bad and it doesn't leak oil all the time. Others with more experience can chime in, but all of the oil should be in the pan under the plate. If the engine was over filled with oil, it might show there. I have pulled my lower unit 4 or 5 times, never had oil come out.

I'm told 1-2 days to repair. 8-16 hours. Im betting the high end
always a surprise bolt that snaps. Boat is on blocks outside in the yard. Just hope he can get to it sooner rather than later.

Looking back on mine, to repair oil leak at motor mount cover gasket, remove and replace power-head was $1,177 (11 hours labor) and $312 in parts. Total was $1,489.

Had a heart attack afterwards as I was changing water pumps a few months later and oil started leaking out the water tube/riser when I raised and lowered the unit (at a certain point). Come to find out, it was residual oil from doing all this work. Make sure you specify to clean it all up before going back together. I monitored the oil for a few months afterwards and the oil level never changed so it was indeed residual.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I can only hope it's residual oil, but I'm afraid it is not, my mechanic usually has a very good idea what he's looking at. I have not seen the trouble yet. Bought the boat last October, the engines were always serviced and tuned up by an authorized Honda dealer. According to the service manager, engines were no trouble at all, last water impellers were replaced in may 2013. I'm troubled by how tight most of the bolts are, I guess 2013 was before anti-seeze was invented?

Yes me too. Just like whack-a-mole sometimes, fixing one thing breaks another. The mechanic removed the lower unit again today and was able to see oil leak up at the top could be pan or oil pump gasket. He just finished the same job on a BF250 for the coast guard last week. He's planning to tear it apart next week, order parts and reassemble, sounds easy? Said it would be a good time to replace the exhaust pipes, because they are often shot and the shift rod seal too. Going to pull the lower unit on the port engine to replace the impeller, I hope the port engine behaves!

Turns out both the starboard and port engine need new oil pump seals! Oil is leaking out of the case once the lower unit is removed.
Engines are 2006 225's with only 220 hours. Any ideas what may have been the cause? Is this a common problem with this engine?

Attachments

• engineremoved1.jpg
    engineremoved1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 76
  • engineremoved2 (600x800).jpg
    engineremoved2 (600x800).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 98
Based on monitoring this forum over many years, a leaking oil pump seal is not a common problem. However, those are 2006 engines with only 220 hours. The seals likely dried out and hardened. I suspect other seals are in the same shape. It's a typical problem with ANY internal combustion engine - lack of use. In contrast, the commercial watermen around here use their boats almost every day and they have very few engine problems even after many thousands of hours.

I've learned the hard way over many years that buying an old engine with low hours is not a good idea, whether it's a vehicle, generator, outboard, or whatever.

Please read about my engines at my forum started by Luferfish
My both Honda 225 s leaking oil from 4 different areas of both engines. Bought them new at the end of 2014. Noticed leaking oil around 30 hours. Starboard had 5, Port had 6 repairs at the dealer both still leaking oil. I have the pictures of incomplete liquid gaskets. Manufacturing defect. Honda is not any help. Still under warranty but obviously can not be fixed with super glue!!!!

Please read about my engines at my forum started by Luferfish
My both Honda 225 s leaking oil from 4 different areas of both engines. Bought them new at the end of 2014. Noticed leaking oil around 30 hours. Starboard had 5, Port had 6 repairs at the dealer both still leaking oil. I have the pictures of incomplete liquid gaskets. Manufacturing defect. Honda is not any help. Still under warranty but obviously can not be fixed with super glue!!!!

Wow. Maybe the dealer's tech messed up the repair? If the engines are still under warrantee why not contact Honda directly?

Back