Logo

Old school 1964 Evinrude 5.5 water pump and tuning questions.

338ftw

I bought a 1964 5.5 fisherman. The water is just kind of spitting out of the exhaust. I want to replace the water pump but it says I need to pull the power head . Is that the case? Also it doesn't want to run below the shift point on the throttle. Is that just a dirty carb?

Yes you have to pull the powerhead .-----Some would say " is that ever dumb design "----My self I would say " brilliant " as this shift shaft arrangement can NOT go out of adjustment.------------And check for spark that will jump a gap of 1/4" or more.--------------Also you can remove the inspection cover on the flywheel.-------------You will find 2 newer coils or 2 that need replacement.-------------------Wonderful motors they are if it has been looked after !!--------Overhauled a 62 model a few months back and it will run like new once done.

Yes you have to pull the powerhead .-----Some would say " is that ever dumb design "----My self I would say " brilliant " as this shift shaft arrangement can NOT go out of adjustment.------------And check for spark that will jump a gap of 1/4" or more.--------------Also you can remove the inspection cover on the flywheel.-------------You will find 2 newer coils or 2 that need replacement.-------------------Wonderful motors they are if it has been looked after !!--------Overhauled a 62 model a few months back and it will run like new once done.

It's got great spark on my tester. Are you thinking thats why it won't run at lower speeds?

Sorry, I am not there to assess your motor.--------I know them inside and out. ---Can overhaul top and bottom without a glance at any manual.-----Does the spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on both leads , yes or no?----Does primer bulb go hard , yes or no?-------Have you checked compression ?----The original head gasket had a habit of blowing out between the cylinders.----------Replacement gasket is a better quality

Sorry, I am not there to assess your motor.--------I know them inside and out. ---Can overhaul top and bottom without a glance at any manual.-----Does the spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on both leads , yes or no?----Does primer bulb go hard , yes or no?-------Have you checked compression ?----The original head gasket had a habit of blowing out between the cylinders.----------Replacement gasket is a better quality

Spark does jump a 1/4 inch gap on both plug wires. Both are cracked but there isn't any arcing. Compression is 75psi top 77psi bottom. Primer bulb get hard and the tank and lines are new. Running a 24:1 mix with non synthetic oil. I haven't touched the mixture knobs.

I had to clean the high speed jet my grandpas 6hp fisherman last year. Im going to go through this carb when I pull the powerhead to change the pump.

While working out the bugs just get a new head gasket and lightly surface the head on a glass table with 120 grit paper just swirl it in a figure 8 pattern until it all shines the same then pull it down in a center out pattern 60 to 84 inch lbs torque.

You mean J6C the correct plug is a J4C champion. Always take some spare plugs and tools out with you they are prone to fouling with alot of slow speed operation.

How does one decarb one of these?

Remove the carb. Disassemble. Soak & clean. Replace standard parts with an OEM Carb Kit.

IIRC, that motor is a "spitter" with regards to the water exit, as opposed to a "pee hole" like some later models.

Also, REPLACE those plugs wires. It's easy to do and will help you avoid some serious headaches in the future.

Note: I have a 1966 9.5 HP that will not stop. It's an incredibly reliable motor. Yours should be also.

CMOS

Remove the carb. Disassemble. Soak & clean. Replace standard parts with an OEM Carb Kit.

IIRC, that motor is a "spitter" with regards to the water exit, as opposed to a "pee hole" like some later models.

Also, REPLACE those plugs wires. It's easy to do and will help you avoid some serious headaches in the future.

Note: I have a 1966 9.5 HP that will not stop. It's an incredibly reliable motor. Yours should be also.

CMOS

I have been looking for a carb kit and plug wires. Do you have a source? I hear these things run for ever.

I also noticed a lot of carbon on the pistons. Anyway to clean that?

Carbon on the top of the pistons is not a problem.-----But do check the thermostat , I often find them stuck open .-----Motor will not idle the best running cold.

FYI you need to pull the coils and screw the wire all the way into the coil and then push the boot up tight then reinstall the coils. Take pics of the bottom of the plate and do the #1 plug wire first and transfer the metal band on the wire so you dont get then mixed up. Line the heels of the laminates up flush with the bosses that the coils sit on. You will see the notch that the flywheel just clears.

Just a few thoughts...I believe the recommended gas oil ratio for 1964 and later is 50 to 1....a 24 to 1 ratio will build up excess carbon and foul spark plugs. Use only TCW 3 0il. The correct plug is a J4 but not if you run a 24 to 1 mix. You mentioned it doesn't run well at low speeds but that you have not touched the mixture knobs. The first thing to do would be to adjust the low speed mixture knob until it runs properly.

Just a few thoughts...I believe the recommended gas oil ratio for 1964 and later is 50 to 1....a 24 to 1 ratio will build up excess carbon and foul spark plugs. Use only TCW 3 0il. The correct plug is a J4 but not if you run a 24 to 1 mix. You mentioned it doesn't run well at low speeds but that you have not touched the mixture knobs. The first thing to do would be to adjust the low speed mixture knob until it runs properly.

I seeing different things on mixture. Somethings say 24-1 and others 50-1. I don't want to lean it out thats for sure.

Proven to me that lubrication on 2 strokes is a confusing thing.--------------That motor will run fine on 50:1 and internally is no different than much newer models of the same engine.-----------It will also run fine on 24:1 with the bonus that it will last many more years !----And no at 24:1 it will not foul plugs overnight if thermostat is working.

Split the difference to be safe run it at 32:1. Get a can of seafoam spray and do a good decarb on the water. Bring the engine up to temp and at high idle spray seafoam into the carb until the engine starts smoking real good. Quickly shut it down and fish for 1/2 hour or so then start it and give it a nice hard run at WOT and then go back to idle speed and final the slow needle adjustment.

Back