Logo

salt water corrosion - aluminum intake manifold/ on engine block- heads

tmcboat

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
I have a aluminum intake manifold on a 351 engine and will have the boat in a salt water marina for 3 days., I am installing a zinc anode in the aluminum intake manifold. Will Salt water crystalize scale in the aluminum intake manifold water inlets in 3 days? We will flush the engine the next day when we pull the boat out with desalt solution.

Thanks,
tmcboat

Hi All,
I have a aluminum intake manifold on a 351 engine and will have the boat in a salt water marina for 3 days., I am installing a zinc anode in the aluminum intake manifold. Will Salt water crystalize scale in the aluminum intake manifold water inlets in 3 days? We will flush the engine the next day when we pull the boat out with desalt solution.

Thanks,
tmcboat

Salt crystallization typically occurs at temps at/above 143*F, so it may not be the concern here in only 3 days......... but galvanic corrosion is. Once it begins, it is difficult to stop!
The salt water becomes an electrolite when two dissimilar metals (such as cast iron and aluminum) are not fully separated. This can cause galvanic corrosion.

Is your aluminum intake manifold a Marine version, or is it the automotive version?
The Marine version will be bronze lined at the coolant cross-over areas, whereas the Auto version is not!

I suppose that in only a few days of salt water, and with the desalt solution flush-out, you would be OK.

I am installing a engine cooling zinc anode in the aluminum intake manifold because it is a edelbrock auto manifold- I hope this will prevent the galvanic corrosion and yes I plan on flushing out the engine once with desalt solution--does the zinc anode prevent the galvanic corrosion?

thanks,
tmcboat

The anode will sacrifice itself up to the point of it no longer being viable. How long.... I don't know.
In only a few days of salt water exposure and with the flushing, you should be OK.

Back