Logo

pressurized fuel tanks

rschmidt305

I am refurbishing a 1957 Evinrude, Model 7522, 7.5hp. I've read that pressurized fuel tanks are dangerous, but there are newer models being built and sold. Do you consider the newer pressurized tanks and new hoses to be safe?
And, I read that there is a redesigned carburetor which uses a nonpressurized fuel system. Is there one for my model? Where can I buy one? Do they work well?

Just get a briggs and stratton three port fuel pump and do the conversion on your intake manifold. Then you can use the standard single line fuel tank. No the pressure tanks are not dangerous but can be a pain in the butt to maintain.

The 1950's pressuriized tanks are NOT DANGEROUS at all if maintained.-----------Rather have one of them then some of the plastic junk made today !!

New fuel tanks build up pressure too. By law. They cannot let air (fumes) escape. So unless you run them with the cap loose, they will build pressure from the sun. Considering that, the pressure issue is a sorry excuse to make the change.

If you are doing a refurb,keep it original.I love my 7520 with the dual line set up.You can tune that motor to run perfectly where it wont miss on low idle all day long.

Back