Logo

235 evinrude

Tractor237

Hi, I have a 1985 235 Evinrude outboard motor. I've ran compression test and all 6 cylinders are showing 75- 85 psi. I can't seem to find and information for this engine to check specs. Does anybody have any info?

That's pretty low. Too low.
Evinrude never publishes what compression numbers should be.
You got go with old timers who have experience, the type of engine it is (looper or crossflow), and a rule of thumb that says the cyls should be within 10% of each other.

My feeling is that crossflow engine should have about 120psi. There are others on here with much more experience that may weigh in.

Try a different gauge first, before you call it bad.

My pair of 82 models are higher than that.---They are crossflow.----Low compression heads installed on yours ?---Tested with another gauge ?

My pair of 82 models are higher than that.---They are crossflow.----Low compression heads installed on yours ?---Tested with another gauge ?

I honestly don't know anything about the engine. (Or boat engines at all for that mattter) It came on a junk boat that I bought a few months ago. I scrapped the boat but kept the motor to sell. Everybody that has called about it wanted more info that I can't give them. Thats why I was reaching out to a forum to help.

You could have stuck piston rings....my guess based on my 1988 150hp Johny with low compression heads would be 90 psi is where it should be. Have you tried putting some seafoam in the cylinders and let the soak to see if the rings are stuck with carbon? Used fogging oil to test compression with? Do multiple readings and maybe try another gauge.

I have only tested once and we only used wd-40 to lube cylinders. I will get a can of seafoam and let it soak for a few days then retest with a different gauge. Thanks for all the info so far. I will post again with the results of the test later this week

Back