Logo

130hp rubber dust under hood.

ss396fish

Contributing Member
Finally got fuel problem fixed and after fishing 3 days was flushing and such and saw what appears to be little bits of rubber and rubberlike dust under the hood. Looks to originate in the area of front/starboard around oil fill and falls below there on oil filter and on down. I hav'nt looked yet but my first guess is there is a timing belt there somewhere hidden under the plastic. When I got it back from the dealer after the fuel fiasco it was hard to crank the first time. Never before hard to crank. Had a hard time getting any primer bulb pressure. When it almost fired a couple of times I heard something that sorta sounded like a metallic knock. Scared the hell outa me. First thought was now they have blown it up in the test tank. After a bit I pumped throttle while spinning it over like it had carbs and it fired up and ran flawlessly for next 3 days. Would noise come from dry vapor seperator or high pressure pump if they left it drained? Bulb stayed firm and as I said ran great. After loading it up and getting it ready to sit for the summer I saw the rubber shavings. Appreciate any info I might get.

The metallic sound could have been the low pressure fuel pump. It does get kind of clicky if there is not fuel in it.

The motor has two belts. Alternator belt and the timing belt.

Pull off the timing belt cover to check them out. The alternator belt should be banjo tight.

Mike

The metallic sound could have been the low pressure fuel pump. It does get kind of clicky if there is not fuel in it.

The motor has two belts. Alternator belt and the timing belt.

Pull off the timing belt cover to check them out. The alternator belt should be banjo tight.

Mike
Is this something a guy with a little bit of ability can do without a $100 hour trip to the dealer? Special tools?

Back