Logo

Yamaha 150 4stroke wont start

Dtorocco

I have a 19' Pathfinder with an 04 Yamaha 150 4 stroke (F150TLRC) it has around 350 hours on the engine. maintained very well, impeller changes every 6 months or 75 hours, oil changes and so on. I recently purchased the boat within the past year and since then ive had her in the water on average every other week. the most it ever sat was a month without being turned over. I went fishing by myself on Friday, ran her all over the Pine Island Sound, I let it get up to max RPM's maybe once or twice when getting through skinny water, 9 hours on the water and not one hiccup from the engine (like normal) On Saturday, I loaded it up, refueled (didn't get ethanol free and got 91 octane since the gas station was out) got her on the water, cranked right up, It idled for 5-10 minutes while I parked the truck and trailer, came back, cruised out of the idle zone and as I went to get up on plane, the engine wouldn't seem to get past 3500 RPMS (give or take) I immediately thought control cable and checked and it was still in perfect working condition, the primer bulb was stiff but not like a rock. Tried to throttle up again and went no where, sputtered and bitched at me for a minute or so and then it **** the bed. I know that my fuel water separator was due to be changed out shortly, I dumped the contents in a mason jar, there was definitely a lot of water in there but thought that's what its purpose was for. I primed the separator with fresh gas and reinstalled (Temporary fix until I ran to the store and got a new one) still nothing. Engine is turning over and a few times it started up but couldn't throttle up or seem to keep a nice idle before I either shut it off or it stalled on its own. I'm no mechanic but I'm no idiot either, I'm a carpenter by trade so I have the common knowledge. I traced fuel lines all the way back to what I'm assuming is the "Fuel Pumps"? Two triangular shaped pieces of aluminum with a clear screen and a diaphragm inside? NOt sure how to tell if these are working or not. I did take off the fuel injectors, power them up and ran brake cleaner through them. They all seem to be working fine. I haven checked to see if I'm getting spark or not but my gut is telling me its fuel related. As far as I can tell I'm getting fuel from the gas tank to the engine no problem. I just cant figure out what next step to take. Any Advice is greatly appreciated.

Since im most familiar with Yam 2 strokes, my best advice is go to http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com.

Being its an manufacturer specidic forum you get the best advice. Many very knowledgeable members on there will be able to help solve your issue.

I can say if you've got that much water in the fuel system it is most likely the culprit. You are correct that the purpose of water/fuel separator is to prevent water from invading the engine. But the issue you'll need to address is how did water get into the tank. Once the engine is up and running it will happen again if you don't determine how water is getting in. Good luck.

Back