Logo

Prop

johnnycoco

I have a 1997 Stratos 21' Center Console bay/tunnel boat with a 2000 175HP evinrude and was trying to decide what Solas prop I should use,the one that was on it was a 14 1/2 x 17 prop(different Brand),just wondering if a 14 1/2x15 would work ,this is all new to me,didn't realize so many things to consider when buying a new prop I do a lot bay fishing,any recommendations would really be appreciated...Thank you:)

Prop selection has to do with W.O.T. wide open throttle, the 14 1/2x15 might run the rpm up to high and over rev. engine What RPM are you running at full throttle now? For each inch of pitch lower, RPM will increase by theoretically 200 RPM and viceversa. Is your prop stainless or alum.?

Prop selection has to do with W.O.T. wide open throttle, ;the 14 1/2x15 might run the rpm up to high and over rev. engine ;What RPM are you running at full throttle now? For each inch of pitch lower, RPM will increase by theoretically 200 RPM and viceversa. ;Is your prop stainless or alum.? Running the wrong prop. will put an unnecessary load on engine,thus limiting life of your motor!

Last edited:
When you say was on it what happened to the prop? If you need a new one because of damage done get the same pitch and do your tests from there. Size the prop for proper WOT rpm and keep the engine at 3/4 throttle for best fuel economy. If you do your runs at max spark advance your engine will last alot longer. With the engine off shift into forward gear and advance the timing to the point the spark advance stops moving and put a marker on your controls at that point. If you run a engine with too shallow of pitch it is the same as running it low on oil. It takes less fuel to rev faster and it will cook the pistons.

WOT the rpm are 4500...The one it now is stainless,the tip was bent,evidently hit something and wanted to maybe purchase a new one.They charge between 100-200 to fix it.I wanted to get a Solas prop since they are not expensive and have heard good reviews on them,but I couldn't find one 14 1/2x17 SS 4blade,like the one that was on it.Just wanted to get close to that.

You can safely put on a 15 pitch that should bring the WOT around 5000 and it should improve overall performance. It sounds like your a little overpropped anyways. It will improve the hole shot considerably.

Back