Logo

Slow cranking 1974 Johnson 115. Greenish goo dripping from under flywheel

I just picked up a 74 Johnny 115. I've pulled,tested, cleaned all contacts on solenoid,starter, new battery terminals. Battery is good, I always keep it charged and took it from my other boat. The starter tested out to be good. There is a greenish goo dripping from under the flywheel. Any info or help would be appreciated. Is this a coil or stator possibly melted causing the slow cranking scenario??

They will ALL pass that test.--------------Easy to take it apart to test it.-------------Inspect brushes and use a digital meter to take an ohm reading.--------Take the reading from shaft to the comutator, should read infinity.---------------Good idea to verify good or bad before investing in a replacement.

Ok guys, I pulled starter again and it was packed with gunk,grease, etc. I diassembled, cleaned it entirely including brushes. Reassembled and it is actually worse before. I was cautious of putting brushes back in same spots they came out of. I'm assuming time to order new starter. Thanks for the input fellas. I've rebuilt a few starters and clutch drives on my Harleys because they're so costly but it looks like it's almost as economical to replace this particular model as rebuild it. Seem to be quite an abundant part

And that goo that's emitting from stator, If you haven't lost spark yet it's just a matter of time, replace it and the rectifier as Faztbullet stated in post#5. keep us posted on progress and good luck

Back