Logo

Motor doesn't run any different with bigger prop.

Georgiaboy67

Advanced Contributor
Okay so my remanufactured powerhead doesn't have the right compression on my E115eleua evinrude. It's 130 on both starboard cylinders. Top port is 105, bottom port is 110. No carbon buildup, no cylinder scoring, leak down was 8% leakage on 3 cylinders, 15% leakage on #4. It's got a fuel pump issue or it's catching air because it becomes starved at full throttle only. Before me my uncle had this exact boat, and ran a 13 1/4 diameter by 21 pitch prop for years. The boat hit. 48 mph. I'm lighter then he is by 40 pounds.the entire load is lighter then what he had run when he hit 48 mph. I have two props, the 21 pitch that I just stated, and a 13 1/4 by 19 pitch. Same exact prop, just a pitch down. I put the bigger prop on, I'm still turning the same Rpms, 5000(wired up a new tach) and she's still only running 41 top end speed. It runs no different then the smaller prop. Could my fuel starvation issue cause the slower speed? Or do I have to dig deeper? Help please!!

Could it be whatever is causing my big compression difference be the culprit as well? How could a prop that's the same diameter with a bigger pitch run the exact same as a smaller pitch prop? It's the exact prop we used to run on the boat for almost a decade(21 inch pitch) that hit 48 mph. And now the same boat and prop are only hitting 41 mph..

Is bottom of boat clean? Is engine mounted at the correct height on transom? Is engine surging at wot? How have you determined it's starving for fuel? Have you tried pumping primer bulb when at wot?

Now is not the time to be evaluating props. Much more important to find out what is wrong, causing the compression differences. That is probably the explanation for loss of speed. Props can't fix a sick motor.

Bottom of the boat is clean. Motor is mounted in the same spot as it always has been. It still surges. We did determine it became starved for fuel because I had my friend with me on Wednesday and when it surged again in the video you guys had seen before he jumped back there and primed the bulb and it caught back up and ran fine again. He said it wasn't collapsed, but it pumped air 3-4 times before the bulb started pumping fuel again.

Yeah I'm not trying to go and buy a bigger prop. I just wanted to see if anyone else think the compression difference or maybe the fact that I have air in the fuel system could cause the entire motor to run slower in general. Not just at wot. It still tries to bog down if i gun it too. I know people would say just don't gun it but if I wanna gun it I should be able to. If the cylinder walls look fine, not much carbon buildup of any kind I'm not sure what else to check. They are all bored the same too.

Back