Logo

2006 Honda 90 leaking gas out of fuel pump screws

Boysboat

Just fired up the motor for the first time from winter storage yesterday and when priming the bulb and when running for the first 10 minutes I had fuel dripping from the top fuel pump. My son was priming the bulb so I know we were probably overprimmed to begin with. The drip slowed and semed to eventually stop. Almost seemed as if the fuel was folloiwng the screw holes which I couldnt try to tightne because they were a special fitting. Did the gaskets just need to swell up or am i looking at replacing the fuel pump for safety? Motor ran smooth as soon as she warmed up. Any thoughts?

The seals will swell when fuel hits them,and when the fuel evaporates they will shrink again, those screws might be torx drive 3.00$ tool at harbor freight

Why not try again without overpriming, a day or so after once the seals are dry again. You of course dont need raw fuel leaking and causing a fire hazard.

I am seeing the same issue on a 2005 90HP from the top fuel pump. Just curious what you had to do to resolve it? thanks very much.

I am seeing the same on a 2005 Honda 90 HP that was considering to purchase but saw the fuel leak and not sure if I should move forward. In your opinion is the solution an easy one?

I am seeing the same on a 2005 Honda 90 HP that was considering to purchase but saw the fuel leak and not sure if I should move forward. In your opinion is the solution an easy one?

I have not had the problem since the first start up this spring. Making sure we do not over prime the ball but all is good after the first time.

If the motor has been started multiple times then you may need to replace the gaskets. Ask to see it 4unning again in a day or so or see what the mechanic say if you get a compression test done. Doesn't seem too hard to replace 5he gaskets, but # 4 maybe a little hard to get too. Good luck

There is no gasket replacement, that I know of. You have to buy the whole fuel pump....at least, in the USA.

Part #11...http://peparts.honda.com/marine#/browse/me/bf/bf90/BF90A5-LRTA

The both of the pumps supersede to the same part number.

The pumps should not leak when you squeeze the bulb firmly. Be sure that they are not loose, as mentioned previously. Tightening may take care of it.

If all is tight, do not count on the gaskets swelling up. If they leak once, they will ultimately leak again.

Purchase the o ring #30, if you do replace the pumps.

Mike

Back