Logo

Chrysler M440-BVR Rebuild ‘73

CaptGreek

I am seeking advise and direction to locate parts for this rebuild. Compression was low and uneven in addition to water in the oil late last season. Tear-down revealed no sign of bad gaskets. Reverse Rotation (RR) parts seem a bit of a difficult find.

- What are some of the main gotchas with the engine being RR? Seems as there are more parts for standard rotation. Correct us if we’re wrong. The following should not matter for rotation (parts from automotive 440)? Lifters, rocker arms, rod & main bearings, gaskets? Hoping I don't need a cam shaft.

- We noticed two temp sensors while pulling it out one on the engine and one on the exhaust. Wired to the same temp gauge. Was this standard?

- Conversion to electronic ignition advise?

- Ideas for sourcing parts for this older M440 thats in my ‘73 Century Arabian as I will need to replace the oil coolers.

Thanks in advance.

Have you located the source for water in the oil? If you're in a possible freeze area it's possible the valley (thinnest area) has a crack if the block was not protected.
Your 440 block will have a stamp pad to the right of the distributor that may (but most likely not) have markings added to it for U/S crank journals or O/S lifter bores.
For automotive, '72 and up, you are in time frame of crankshafts changing over to cast that are externally balanced from forged that were internally balanced. Keep your balancer and flywheel with your crank.
There were also changes in the automotive engines that decreased the compression over several years ('69-'72) so keep that in mind if you need pistons.
In your list "Lifters, rocker arms, rod & main bearings, gaskets" most items will be the same. The gaskets may be of concern as automotive used a steel shim (.019" thick) head gasket, and I suspect the valley pan had some corrosion measures added as well.

Block 'n Head magnafluxed. Word from the shop today all good on that end. The Mystery is how it took in water. Oil pan looks decent. camshaft is being mic'd this week. Noobie Question... We did have a massive storm last July where I'm sure water went up to at least the oil filter. possible cause? -Thanks for the input guyz

Back