Logo

Leak down test on 2 strokes

Does anybody have an experience with the 1992 johnson 60hp VRO 3 cyl. Shop said mine failed leak down, but the motor has less than 100 hours on it. It was bought in 1995 used and sat under tarps until 2018, fully winterized. Fuel drained and all.

Last edited:
There are some folks here who have said that leak down wont work on a 2 stroke.---Baffling to me.-------I know some mechanics who insist on leak down to diagnose 2 strokes.-------It will find a leak.-----So what does a compression test show on this motor ?---Post your numbers here.-----Or a head gasket is not expensive , so take a look at the cylinder walls if you like.----Does the tell tale come off the side of the block or off the top as per a 1994 service bulletin ?-----There were issues with the #2 cylinder failing on those blocks.

There are some folks here who have said that leak down wont work on a 2 stroke.---Baffling to me.-------I know some mechanics who insist on leak down to diagnose 2 strokes.-------It will find a leak.-----So what does a compression test show on this motor ?---Post your numbers here.-----Or a head gasket is not expensive , so take a look at the cylinder walls if you like.----Does the tell tale come off the side of the block or off the top as per a 1994 service bulletin ?-----There were issues with the #2 cylinder failing on those blocks.
I honestly dont know a whole lot about the motor other than it sat for quite a while, we inherited the boat from my wife's grandfather. It ran one summer, but last summer I had it at a shop trying to get it running better but they couldnt get it to do much. I'm going to have to wait until warmer weather to warm it up and compression test it. I took it to a different shop this past weekend and they called today basically saying it's a lost cause, would cost more to rebuild than to buy a new motor

Take cylinder head off now.---- inspect walls of cylinder.-------Yes with labour rates at big shops it adds up fast.------Always worthwhile if doing the work yourself.----Your location ?

Take cylinder head off now.---- inspect walls of cylinder.-------Yes with labour rates at big shops it adds up fast.------Always worthwhile if doing the work yourself.----Your location ?
Location is western South Dakota/ black hills. The shop noted some scoring in the cylinders, 90, 95, 90 compression for cylinders and a 30 psi or percentage loss on leak down test. I am having a family boat mechanic com up and look it over with me once we break back above 40°.

Leak down test only as good as person performing it.Had many customers bring me their motor that had "excessive" leak down found during basic tune-up at dealers...

There is no need for a mechanic to remove the cylinder head.-----14 bolts and it is off.---Elegantly simple job.------It needs to come off for inspection.

Back