Logo

DF70 blows oil filter gasket out

Jbhl4

Hello, got a boat with twin 2000 df70's on it. Has been sitting on a lift for 6-7 years. Former owner did them no favors. Left fuel in tanks and never ran engine dry. So, new filters, fuel pump and plugs and sea foam engine will start right up. Will idle for a minute then die. Not too concerned about that, alot of stuff to get cleaned up. Problem is when i throttle up to say 1800-2000 rpms oil filter gasket blows out. Happened twice.
Any ideas about next step or what the causation is?
Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Jbhl4

Yes, did that both times, second time scraped the metal surface with a razor to make sure there wasn't anything on it. The o ring gets blown right out of the can. When you look at a new one it looks like it's pressed in.
But, thanks for the reply!

next step would be to put a mechanical oil gauge and see what it reads when the blow out happens. you may have a bad oil pump.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. Thinking I might just change the oil pump anyway. Hate to pull the head to get at it, but a man's gotta do......

Narrowed it down to a bad oil pressure relief valve.....So here is another puzzler, to me anyhow. Took off the power head to replace the oil pressure relief valve. Unplugged the ECM to get at all the wiring. Could not believe the amount of sludge in the oil pan. Ridiculous amount. Anyway, cleaned it all out, replaced the valve and put it back together. Used the other engine as a guide for routing the wiring back into the correct places, had to unplug that engines ECM to get a better look at a few specific wires. Now, have no power to the fuel pump on either engine. WTH?? Both worked fine before. The only common thing I did to both was unplug the ECM. Refuse to believe they both went bad. Is there a reset procedure after you unplug the ECM or am I missing something?

so, tested the oil pressure. Was normal at idle but red lined the gauge at 2k. Changed the oil pressure relief valve and now pressure stays right where it's supposed to. Was an awful lot of sludge in the oil pan. Cleaned it all out and seems to be running fine. The fuel pump issue was not power related. I removed the fuel pump and hot tested it of the battery and it was fine. Turned the spacer upsided down, re-installed and all is well. ......until next time lol.....
Thanks for the help folks.

JB

Back