Logo

1977 inline 6 1150 timing light issue

tavacska

I am trying to set up the timing and sync of the motor.

When I hook up the timing light with #1 cylinder.
I got 4 BTDC for primary pick up. 20 BTDC for max advance. And I initially set the idle at 1 BTDC.
Ok, then I more the timing light with all the other cylinders. And I found out the flash shows all the same position as the #1 cylinder.

What could be the reasons of this problem?
The motor is equipped with a distributor trigger.

Thanks.

To this motor actually I did all the cleaning.
1. piston carbon cleaning
2. replaced all piston rings.
3. replaced all carburetors float system
4. Carb cleaning
5. Rewiring
6. the main coil cable replacement
7. Distributor trigger replacement

It was ignited and run 3 weeks ago. But recently I found it's very hard to start.

Yes, I did that and I spent a lot time figuring it out.

I can guarantee the degree pointer (0.464 and TDC staff) is accurate.

For my understanding, if I can get primary pick up and max advance right(4 deg BTDC and 20 deg BTDC), that means the timing belt is set up right.
Is that correct?

Because there are about 24 teeth on the distributor wheel. One mismatch will be 15 degree difference. It will be extreme hard to get correct primary pick up and max advance. This is my understanding.

Last edited:
I do not have a manual for that engine. How are you adjusting the slow needles on the carbs? Do the carbs open up exactly the same time? Have you adjusted the throttle pickup correctly? How old is the timing belt? Is it possible you slugged some water from the fuel tank messing with your head? I would start at the timing belt and work your way forward from there. It just sounds like the issue I had with a 50hp that skipped a tooth on the timing belt. Another thing to check is true TDC on #1 cylinder with a piston stop tool.

The manual says 5 BTDC for primary pickup, 21 BTDC for max advance.

1. the throttle opens up exactly the same time ( ***** eyes test)
2. the fist throttle pick up is set at the primary pickup position(4BTDC). The second pick up is set at the max advance(20BTDC).
3. The timing belt is bought new
4. Water in tank, maybe, the tank stays in garage for about one months since my first use. I will replace with new gas.
5. I tried to slip one tooth lag and in advance, the primary pick up was too much off. But I will check it out again. I did have a little concern on the belt. Because all the video or instruction says, the arrow on the wheel should be half tooth right. But mine is in the middle or I am not sure.
6. The true TDC is set up with dial meter and I am sure it should be right.

@Kimcrwbr1, do you have any suggestions on the timing light? It shows the same position on all cylinders. First time to use timing light, it works that way?

First of all, you want to ignore the base timing--this is not a car engine! Set the WOT timing and simply add enough advance to get to idle properly. Period.

Jeff

Back