Logo

1988 OMC 5L bogging when hitting throttle hard. New Qjet installed end of last season

kargesphoto

Appreciate any input on this. Had a new Qjet installed on my 88 Bayliner Capri w/ tuneup, (still has points), and filters at end of last season. Boat runs fine, and will get up on a plane to 3000 rpm if I throttle up slow and steady but will hesitate/stutter if I punch the throttle or try to get up on a plane too fast as if I were trying to pull a skier out of the water.

Boat stays in the water in off season and gets started every few weeks. I did add some Sta-bil to half-full gas tank but I was several months late getting it in there, so fuel might not be too fresh.

Thanks again for any suggestions on how I might remedy this issue.

I don't think you got a 'new' Qjet.....would believe a rebuilt/reconditioned one.....and if the later, it probably didn't get all the final adjustments done to it....

Assuming the accelerator pump works, the air valve tension spring would be a prudent next step....

I don't think you got a 'new' Qjet.....would believe a rebuilt/reconditioned one.....and if the later, it probably didn't get all the final adjustments done to it....

Assuming the accelerator pump works, the air valve tension spring would be a prudent next step....

Thanks very much for your response, any tips on how to do the adjustment would be appreciated and I'll give it a try.

Carb came from National Carburetor and it said new but you're right they probably mean New reconditioned

I'd bet the spring is either too tight or too loose....see the factory manual for their recommended settings....if it is silent, I'd start with half a turn tighter than closed

Not a fan of your vendor due to their approach...that said their ads have been accurate for years...

I'd bet the spring is either too tight or too loose....see the factory manual for their recommended settings....if it is silent, I'd start with half a turn tighter than closed

Not a fan of your vendor due to their approach...that said their ads have been accurate for years...

OK thanks again I'll give it a shot . . . . . .

Hey just wanted to follow up, the secondary valve seemed a tad on the tight side, so I loosened the tension a little more than a half turn, and it really helped. acceleration a lot smoother, didn't bog when I punched it with moderate force either from a standstill or at 2800 rpm. Definitely an improvement, thanks again for the help, I think you have responded to a couple of my questions in the Crusader forum. This boat is my other one that I'm trying to sell so I can blow that money on the old SeaRay!

Back