Logo

2005 BF90 Questions

molyneux

New boat owner here...I just bought a used center console that's coming with a carbureted 2005 BF90. The boat was owned by an elderly couple that didn't use it very much and the motor only has 100 hours on it, which is mainly why I have a couple questions.

The dealer had installed a new impeller, changed the lube oil and engine oil and put in new spark plugs. It started right up on muffs at the shop and it generally ran well during the sea trial. The only issues I noticed were that we could only get it up to about 5200 RPM, and one time it bogged down and stalled under acceleration after a restart. Otherwise it's smooth and quiet and seems to make pretty good power.

I figure I'll try a different prop to address the max RPM issue but I'm concerned that part of the problem might be that it has a bunch of stale fuel in the tank and has been sitting around a lot given the low hours. It had about a half tank (15 gallons) of fuel in it from the original owner, which the dealer treated and then topped off with fresh fuel this spring. I'm guessing some of that original fuel could be 2 years old or worse.

Should I drain the tank and start with fresh fuel, maybe with some Ring Free? Should I open up the carbs and take a look (I'd probably have a Honda tech do it)? Or should I just put her in the water and run the motor and not worry about it until and unless there's a problem?

Thanks in advance!

Back