Logo

1999 40 hp force prop

busa

I have a 1999 16 foot stinger smoker craft with a 1999 40 hp force motor. I bought the boat second hand and here is some issues i'm trying to get ironed out. The boat sets level while fishing and putting around but at full speed the boat wants to lean towards the left side. Not sure what could be causing that the gas tank and batteries are centered in boat and no standing water in boat either. I thought if it was the batteries or something like that it would be like that all the time just not on full throttle. The prop is showing very little wear but not sure if it is the correct prop either. The only number i could find on prop was 48-73136-13. Does this sound like the correct prop? Also top speed is about 24 mph does this sound correct? It does not have a tach. I have read a little about the little fin that sets just above prop that is adjustable. How do i know if that is adjusted right. What depth should the prop be below the boat or is that real important i see there is adjustments there also. Thanks for any help or advice

The motor has a cavitation plate.
The plate should be even with the bottom of the boat.
The straight edge on the bottom is where the cavitation plate should be.
The pulling left?? Is the motor straight, up and down?
There is a trim fin on the back/ bottom of the cavitation plate, turning it to the direction of the pull(left) might stop the pull.
"pulling left?? turn left" "pulling right?? turn right"

The motor have trim and tilt?
The motor needs to be straight up and down for best performance

The last 2 digits of the #s you gave are the pitch 13p.
Without a tach you'll never know if the prop is the right one??
They sell a Tiny Tach that can be used to check the rpm's.

24 mph, 16ft. boat 40hp.
IF?? every thing is set up right??
You might go a little faster??
The load inside the boat affects speed too.
Remember it's only a 40

Google transom/motor heightmount.png

Last edited:
Back