Logo

Oil injection

bperry

Contributing Member
Just purchased a 1989 Hurricane with a Mercury 150 which is a 1993. it has a oil injection tank on top of the motor and also a couple gallon tank under a compt. previous owner says oil injection works . it also has a 17 gallon fuel tank. Is there any way to check oil injection and should both tanks be filled. I believe the tank on top of the motor leaks when tilted up. Cap is a drain plug. Which way to go. do not want to ruin a good engine.

Cap on the motor tank must be tight and must not leak.------------Motor pumps air into the big tank to keep the small tank full.

after more research I know the previous owner ran off a new 6 gallon tank, premix. I also found out the horn wires are cut. I am going to find the proper cap for the engine oil tank and insure I have no bad or leaking lines, reconnect the horn and see what happens. I may run a tank of premix and see if oil goes to the engine tank. PO had no oil in large tank. I put a gallon in . Is it safe to test or should I use premix and check oil injection?

PREMIX until you verify that it is working. These systems were prone to fail. The drive gear on the crank strips off its teeth.

I would suggest that you get the alarm system functioning again.

Back