Logo

Yamaha F150 Two Stroke built year 1999

eddievan

Hi, I have just bought a motorboat with an Engine with an known issue but the cause is not found.
It starts up fine but it makes a metallic scrambling sound that of course does not sounds good.

I know that it could be "anything" and its is inmpossible to tell without more information but I talk generally here, what known mechanical problems are there and how likely are they?
F.ex. A failing Crankshaft Bearing, how likely is it compared to a broken Piston Head Packing, etc. etc you get the point ;)

Q1 does this model have any typical known mechanical/material problems with crank shaft bearings, piston seals, spur or beavel gears?
Q2 What is the most likely causes and how could it be fixet?

Please dont reply like "are you stupid, how are we gonna tell you the problem with yor engine out of that", please bear in mind that I asks the most likel y casuses, not whats the exact casue is :eek:

Thanks for your time ..

Bo
www.eddievan.com

If it is a 1999 115hp V4 2 stroke then it is most likely a Salt Water Series (SWS) engine (not F series). The SWS engines in some HP ratings did have a weakness in the Piston Wrist Pins. If run overloaded they could start to fail and you get a clanking/knocking noise at idle that may go away a bit once you raise the rpms. You can check this (and the big end bearing tightness) but raising each cylinder to just past TDC and then pushing a dowel through the spark plug hole onto the top of the piston and pushing sharply down to see if there is any movement and noise from the bad nearing/pin. It is a 10 minuted test.
In general the SWS115 is a pretty solid and reliable engine, but sometimes known for using more fuel that you might normally expect from a 115.

How about let's first start with learning from you the basics, other than your model number.

Where
are you hearing this metallic scrambling coming from....under the cowling, from lower unit? Since the engine starts, what happens with this sound as you increase rpms in neutral? What happens with this sound as you increase rpms in gear? Any smoke when it's running, other than normal exhaust. Odd smells? Might want to first check the flywheel cover. If it's mounted too low, you will hear the sound you've described, despite the cover not being metal.

The more details you provide this forum, the more accurate thus better suggestions you'll receive.

Last edited:
Re: Yamaha 150 Two Stroke built year 1998Hi

Hi all and thank you for being patient :rolleyes:
Yesturday I picked upp the boat and engine and the engine is of a model Yamaha 150BETO year V and Long Stem.
So it is of the second built generation, with electric start and elektro-hydraulic tilt/trim, autolub, long stem and built year is 1998

I have not started it yetand will most likely not do within the next week.

I have bought and downloaded a file containing Service Manuals for 8 different versions amongst mine (mine is of 209 pages and have several good split view schematics).

What I am first of all interest in now is to know the common mechanical issues this is related to, what is its weak spots, in what area did the engineers not sucssed soo very well ;)

The engine looks really good and so, and I am very excited to get started :cool:

17880314_10213356014761060_3215047278137668620_o.jpg

How about let's first start with learning from you the basics, other than your model number.

Where
are you hearing this metallic scrambling coming from....under the cowling, from lower unit? Since the engine starts, what happens with this sound as you increase rpms in neutral? What happens with this sound as you increase rpms in gear? Any smoke when it's running, other than normal exhaust. Odd smells? Might want to first check the flywheel cover. If it's mounted too low, you will hear the sound you've described, despite the cover not being metal.

The more details you provide this forum, the more accurate thus better suggestions you'll receive.

See above for my previous response to your initial thread question. We don't know what this issue is related to until you first determine where the metallic noise is coming from.

Hi everybody, I have big problem posting here, this must be my 10th attempt.
The engine has this modelname 115BETO V L
So it is an
115 hp
B Generation (second)
E Electric Start
T Electro-Hydraulic Trim/Tilt
O Autolub
V 1998
L Long Stem

I will start the engine within the next week, due to the workload at work, if I would be the one who decided I would do it now :)

I will come back with more info along the way, if I solve it I will of course come back with the root casue and the corrective action

I will not try to attach a pic because then all hell brakes loose :)

Thanks for all your replies so far :)

Bo
www.eddievan.com

The exact model name is as follows
115BETO V L
115 hp
B Generation (second)
E Electric Start
T Electro-Hydraulic Trim/Tilt
O Autolub
V 1998
L Long Stem

Hi, I havent yet started the engine, I only have what the seller said.
My post is more to be interpered as "when a mechanical failure occur in the power head (like piston seals, pistons, bearings etc), what is the most common failure", "what are this engines weak spots".

Thanks

Today I found out this
1. Spark plug with metal pitting and no comp in the left lower cylinder
2. spark plug with metal pitting in the lower right cylinder
3. Both thermostates normal and no dirt or oxidation
4. Engine borescoped with evidence of severe damage in one cylinder, most likely lower left

Attaching a picture

whaf would you think is the most probable cause?

PICT0008.jpg

How do you mean, is the member Docksidemarineservices an "insane" person?

No Eddie Van Hagar, I am not insane, Boating season is....and My signature on my posts, if you read it, says.."Let the insanity begin" Boating season is just that, SEASONAL. We have to earn a whole years salary in a short time....For NJ it is from the end of May til Sept. That is cramming a years worth the work for a desk Chair rider into approximately a 16 to 20 month window working long, days seven days a week.

SO, when you ask for advice here on this "free" web service that "we few Paid Professionals" chose to help you with "your"
boat problems....You could just do a little research on your own set up so "we" know what "we" are trying to give you FREE ADVICE on.

Last edited:
IF you would have read my initial post you would have understood that I was not asking for the exact reason for the problem of my particular engine, I was asking a general question that relates to engines "like mine" (understood as Yamahas, V4:s and about the same built-generation).
And yes, I made a couple of err when naming my egine model (I dont know why I wrote 150 a couple of times but I did, BUT I did wrote that I have just bought the engine and that I have not yet inspected it myself, nor seen any engine plate naming the exact model).

Instead you go on nagging about how stupid people are, damaging their engines.
You should be glad people that they are just doing that, because that is just what puts your food on the table, and if you cant handle that you are in the wrong business.

IT's not nice to berate the people that are trying to help you" For free",good luck with your project, I give up also,and hope others follow suit, It's not nice to bite the hand that feeds you, Very good advice from an elder.

Last edited:
Back