Logo

lack of power

basspro2779

I have a 2003 Mercury 250 pro xb. When it idles it runs good. When I put in gear it starts to chug. when I try to get on plane it is very sluggish and chugs a bit before getting the power to plane. Also when going to load lacks the power to go on trailer and surges up and down. Runs ok on top end, but is only running 54mph at 5200rmps 26 pitch. I think I need to prop down for one, but don't think that will solve the other issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Cody

Look to your owners manual for instructions on downloading codes,you usually don't need a reader,on some engines, codes are read with a combination of beeps and or readings from tach.gauge

Do you know the history of the engine? Pull all the wire connectors apart and clean with electrical cleaner and put back together with dielectric grease and sand all grounds metal to metal. inspect the wiring real close for cracked, burnt, bare wires. There could be a RF noise issue what condition are the spark plug wires. Service the vapor separator, rebuild the pulse fuel pump and replace the rubber fuel lines. Then run a portable tank with some injector cleaner dry and quickly switch to the main tank and give it a good run. Just sounds to me like it just needs a good tuneup and some preventive maintenance. It looks like your WOT rpm is 5500-6000 rpm so you not far away. I doubt it will send you any codes.

I'm not sure of the history. I just purchased this winter. I do have a read out that all cylinders have 120 from a shop is it. Thanks for the advice. I can do some checking on the electrical.

Give it a good once over it may just need a little TLC. It is always a good idea to get a manual and get to know your engine good out there you are the mechanic.

Back