Logo

Crusader 270 hp motor/points,external coil & resistor & cellenoid. convert to HEI distributor

ComfortZone

Crusader 270 hp motor/points,external coil & resistor & cellenoid. convert to HEI distributor

I
have a 1981 Carver Aft. 3007 with twin 270 hp inboard motors. I am trying to convert old distributor to new HEI distributor.
I need a wiring schematic for old distributor with points,condenser, external coil & resistor with cellenoid on starter. I want to convert to HEI but don't know where to hook up all wires from old to new and what to eliminate.

Thanks
ComfortZone
[email protected]

Re: Crusader 270 hp motor/points,external coil & resistor & cellenoid. convert to HEI distributor

Has anyone done this type of conversion? Any help hooking wires up to new HEI would be a real help.

Thanks
COMFORTZONE

Re: Crusader 270 hp motor/points,external coil & resistor & cellenoid. convert to HEI distributor

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Which HEI distributor,..??

Basically, the HEI is a 1 wire distributor,....
Pull everything of the old system off,....
Drop in the new distributor, 'n it needs a key switched 12v feed,....

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Which HEI distributor,..??

Basically, the HEI is a 1 wire distributor,....
Pull everything of the old system off,....
Drop in the new distributor, 'n it needs a key switched 12v feed,....

Thank you !what do I do with negative wires that wen to old external resistor cap em off? Also, my HEI has a Batt & Tach connections
Do they go to the cellenoid which has an R and an S post and a positive battery cable post to it.

Please reply,
Thanks
ComfortZone

ComfortZone, the HEI that you plan to use.... is it mechanical advance, or EST (electronic spark timing)?

As Bill says..... remove the 1981 ignition systems, and install the new HEI systems.

Before you begin, bring each engine's cylinder #1 up to approx 8* BTDC on the Compression Stroke.
(this will allow you to set up some spark lead prior to actually starting up again)

Keep in mind that:

.... if the Stbd engine is RH Reverse Rotation, technically this requires a special distributor for the NOW down-load placed against the shaft.
.... if both the LH and RH engine camshafts are chain/sprocket driven.... the RH Rotation Engine distributor's thrust load changes from an Up-Load to a Down-Load direction, and will require a special RH ignition distributor.
.... if the RH engine camshaft is twin gear driven...... then each distributor can be the same p/n.
.... NOTE.... each distributor still rotates CW (when viewed from above).

Here's an old ME.com thread that may help you if you have further questions.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/archive/index.php/t-412005.html

Hello Ricardo, the starboard motor is std LH Rotation. I guess the vacum advance is mechanical and can be adjuste with an allen wrench but I have no vacumn port on intake or anywhere. Where does the Batt. & Tach wires connect to? The cellenoid?

Thanks
ComfortZone

Hello Ricardo, the starboard engine is std LH Rotation. I guess the vacum advance is mechanical and can be adjuste with an allen wrench but I have no vacumn port on intake or anywhere. Where does the Batt. & Tach wires connect to? The cellenoid?

Thanks
ComfortZone

If these have vacuum advance, they are Automotive.
The Automotive ignition distributors are not legal for an Inboard installation, nor is the advance curve correct for Marine Cruiser use.
Since there is no coast time, vacuum advance serves no purpose for a Marine engine.

You had better look for true Marine systems!

I guess the vacum advance is mechanical and

Ayuh,... As Rick says, that's Not a Marine distributor, 'n Can't be used on a boat motor,.....

Hi Ricardo, Vac. Advance can be shutoff by using allen wrench and turning counter clockwise all the way. Other than that it's the same as a chevy small block engine.

Evidently you are not listening, if it is a car distributor it is both not legal and it will destroy the engine if used. If you use your old points type distributors make sure the dwell angle is correct before adjusting the timing and check the progressive timing advance is within spec. Boat engines work real hard full time it is like pulling a trailer up a mountain pass the entire time the boat is in gear. Detonation is the biggest killer of marine inboard out engines make sure it is correct before putting them into service.

Running a non marine distributer is a fire hazard, A potential bomb waiting to explode!!

Hi Ricardo, Vac. Advance can be shutoff by using allen wrench and turning counter clockwise all the way. Other than that it's the same as a chevy small block engine.

All due respect....... you have been misinformed.

For boats with an enclosed engine bay, a Marine ignition distributor serves us with several functions.
....... triggers and creates the spark event
....... distributes the spark to each cylinder via rotor and cap
....... progressively advances the spark event as per RPM
....... surpressed any potential ignition source (meaning spark that could lead to ignition of engine bay gas vapors)

The Marine distributor is qualified as being "ignition source protected".
The automotive distributor is NOT qualified as being "ignition source protected".
If you shut off the vacuum advance, you still have the incorrect progressive advance curve to deal with.
If you abandon the vacuum advance diaphram, you still have an ignition system that has not been approved by the USCG.

With lots of sarcasm included ........ be sure to inform your Marine Policy Insurance company of your modifactions!

Last edited:
Back