Logo

!976 Seaswirl Electric Shift no forward/reverse

So I checked the wiring from the shifter to the knife connectors, seems to be good. I pulled the bottom off, I get 4.5 6.7 ohms on both wires in the bottom drive it self. When I take 12v to the forward magnet and ground to the case, I don't hear any movement of the gear. The prop shaft seems to turn and the shaft going to the lower turns as well. This does seem funny, I would think that when in neutral without power, the gears would be apart from the drive gear on the input shaft. How do I troubleshoot this situation ?

Respectfully,

Glen

There is no " movement of gears " on these.------------It is a spring that wraps around the hub on the propshaft.------------------My bet is that splines are rusted out / stripped on one of the shafts.------Did it stop driving all of a sudden ?

Last edited:
There is no " movement of gears " on these.------------It is a spring that wraps around the hub on the propshaft.------------------My bet is that splines are rusted out / stripped on one of the shafts.------Did it stop driving all of a sudden ?

Are you talking splines from the water pump through input shaft ? No they are not stripped there already had that one. The water pump shaft does not move because it is being held by the motor so that is correct.

What I expected was to run 12v to the green wire, ground the battery to the case ground and see if the prop was stopped from turning in one direction. That did not work however, it must be in neutral because power is off and I can turn the prop shaft in a different direction than the lower input shaft. I would think that gears fro forward or reverse are not engaged. Which brings me back to the same point. When voltage is input on the forward, green wire, and the battery is grounded shouldn't the forward gear move froward to me the pinion of the end of the input shaft allowing the prop to turn....If this is true how can I troubleshoot the problem. The coil only acts as a magnet to force the gear into the pinion and it stays on all the while the shifter is in the move out position.

So what is the next step !

Sorry , the pinion and gears turn ALL THE TIME when the motor is running.---------The gears themselves do not move during the shifting !!!-----Please review your understanding of how electric shift works.--------That will make it easier for you to trouble shoot.

Sorry , the pinion and gears turn ALL THE TIME when the motor is running.---------The gears themselves do not move during the shifting !!!-----Please review your understanding of how electric shift works.--------That will make it easier for you to trouble shoot.

Well, I don't understand then, How do I know if it the coils are being electrified and exactly what is their function, the logic escapes me. What cause the prop to turn or how does it cause that to happen ?

Well, I don't understand then, How do I know if it the coils are being electrified and exactly what is their function, the logic escapes me. What cause the prop to turn or how does it cause that to happen ?

Is there anyone out there who understands the Electric shift, I have a manual but it certainly does a poor job. It seems that there are some springs on the gear that when the magnet energizes them something moves, which thought was a gear and they stay energize all the time until the shift is placed into neutral, then the prop is also in a neutral position as well, if this were not true then the frive would run the prop all the time, which we know is not true.

Is there anyone out there who understands the Electric shift, I have a manual but it certainly does a poor job. It seems that there are some springs on the gear that when the magnet energizes them something moves, which thought was a gear and they stay energize all the time until the shift is placed into neutral, then the prop is also in a neutral position as well, if this were not true then the frive would run the prop all the time, which we know is not true.

On youtube there is a video with a guy who made a actual
cutaway model showing how the electric shift works.Check it out it.

Back