Logo

Water in back shift cover Bravo III

Mikeskii

I just uncovered the Mercruiser sterndrive bravo three (duo prop) on my 2003 after winter here in Michigan and saw a puddle of lube on the tarp, not what I wanted to see...., see picture. I can only assume that water got into the drive and something cracked... however the lube is not as milky as I would think it would be, I would think there would have to be a decent amount of water in the drive to cause it something to crack.

I then noticed the back of the upper housing/back shift cover is where the oil came from it also the surrounding area. You can see the boss is cracked where lower mounting bolt goes into the back shift cover, see picture.

I proceeded to remove the back shift cover and water came out, about 4 oz. or so. See picture of cover removed. Grease/lube looks mikly... The boss for the lower mounting bolt is cracked (because it froze I assume).

(I removed the drain plug on the lower housing and the gear lube was dark (as it should be) but not milky).

So, the big questions are, how did water get in here but not the entire drive? Where cold it be leaking water into this area from? Should I be concerned with any internal damage? And how can this be fixed? (I realize I need a new back shift cover for starters).

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Lube.jpg
    Lube.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Optimized-Optimized-Upper Housing.jpg
    Optimized-Optimized-Upper Housing.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Optimized-IMG_20170409_161015457_HDR.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20170409_161015457_HDR.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 21