Logo

Alpha 1 Outdrive: U-joint and bellows

baitbag

I have an Alpha one outdrive 1986 vintage and just pulled off the outdrive with the intention of replacing the gimbal bearing. There was a little saltwater sitting inside the gimbal bearing bellows. I was looking for a leak in the bellows and saw a smooth circular piece of stainless steel protruding through the bellows, but it doesn't seem to be leaking after I took a garden hose and shot water at the site for a leak test. Is this supposed to be part of the bellows?
The water contamination doesn't appear to be a result of a big leak, but I did find another possible cause. The upper gear housing had a broken large o-ring seal. The O-ring compresses and basicly seals around a retainer nut and the bell housing . I also noticed that the retainer nut had one piece of its 'Castle' broken off. I believe this is affecting the O-rings ability to seal out water since the O-ring isn,t backed up and completely supported. If I remove the U-joints and then replace the retainer nut, will I disturb anything in the upper gearcase housing?

Picture of bellow attached (ring is inside, top right side).

Attachments

• Bellow 1.jpg
    Bellow 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Bellow 2.jpg
    Bellow 2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 67
That is a "spring" that wraps inside the bellows and is supposed to be there.

It helps keep the bellows from collapsing.

Over time is forces the bellow to expand and rub the water inlet hose and it fails there. You will know when you remove the inputshaft . When you remove the nut to remove the bearing package and if the gear and bearings slide off the yoke shaft by hand you have the old style that just torques down , verses the "rolling torque method

Last edited:
If I remove the retainer nut that is damaged and slide a new retainer nut over the U joint without removing the bearing package , then screw it in, is there any other procedure or adjustments that are required with either the torque down or rolling torque method?

Thanks

First off the rolling torque is not for the retainer nut. If you are replacing just that then you will need the special tool to remove and replace properly.

With a standard length 1/2 inch drive torque wrench you would torque the retainer to 125 ft lbs.

see attached for explanation,

If you disassemble the entire upper and remove the ujoint shaft and bearings then when reinstalling the bearing pack the "rolling" torque method may be needed.

Back