Logo

1979 mercury 115 tower of power ignition issues

I'm pretty good with cars but am currently learning about outboards. The engine is spinning but I am not getting spark. I pulled the stator that only has two wires and when I test with a multimeter the ohms start out close the what they should be but then drains down to zero. Am I testing this wrong or is it bad? Another thing, there is no mercury switch and I don't see a kill switch. Will it start without a mercury switch or does it need to be grounded? If someone can post how to test the stator, coil, and trigger accurately I would greatly appreciate it.

Sounds like you have older motor as has 2 wire stator. If you have a distributer with 6 plug wires check that you have 12v on red wire to switchbox on front of engine all the time and on white wire with key on and while cranking.

Sounds like you have older motor as has 2 wire stator. If you have a distributer with 6 plug wires check that you have 12v on red wire to switchbox on front of engine all the time and on white wire with key on and while cranking.

I currently have the ignition apart but will test this when I put it back together. I believe the stator is good. I guess my problem is the trigger. From what I understand the trigger tells the switch box to release stored power. I feel like I'm getting closer but if anyone has more knowledge they can share that would be great. Thanks for any help.

Well I was in the process of putting my engine back together to test the trigger out when I noticed that I was not supposed to take the pulley off the flywheel. Does anyone know how to realign the flywheel with the pulley? There is a notch for a key in the pulley. Is the notch for tdc or what is it marking?

Pulley on flywheel don't matter in position as its just turning belt.. Making sure flywheel marks are aligned with TDC ..

Just wanted to update as I have not been on here in a while. My ignition issue turned out to be the trigger. The trigger in the distributer tells the switch box when to release stored power. After replacing the trigger it starts up fine.

Back