Logo

is line cutter washer necessary for prop installation

tmcboat

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
I have a 270 short hub prop and the line cutter was not the right size so prop would not fit on with the cone-- so I just installed the prop with out it and the boat ran fine. Does line cutter plate keep the prop from rubbing against anything. I used the plastic washer that said needed to go there.
thanks
tmcbat

The spacer/line cutter is the combination of the spacer and the tin fish line cutter.
If the tin fish line cutter has fallen off and has been lost, the spacer is still necessary.

FYI...... the spacer/line cutter has ZERO to do with a short or long prop hub.
250, 270, 275 all require the short spacer unit.
280, 285, 290, SP all require the long spacer unit.

If you were to run without..... the prop can damage the prop shaft bearing carrier.

Are you sure your using the right line cutter? Is there a spacer there that the line cutter disk fell off it is on on there with a few spot welds.

Last edited:
My boat with a 270 drive did not have a line cutter for about 35 years without any issues.
My '72 Enterprise 302/270 also ran for years (and is still running) without a line cutter. However, the thrust washer (spacer) is necessary to keep prop from damaging the outdrive. You can see the spot welds on my thrust washer where the line cutter used to be. Volvo wants about $65.00 for a new thrust washer/line cutter.

Back