Logo

Tohatsu powerhead corrosion

Yellow tail

Hi
I own an 18 hp tohatsu which I brought new.
I have had no end of trouble with paint falier/corrosion around the gasget on the power headed
so far I've been through two paint jobs and a new power head and still having problems its doing my nut.
I am thorough with my cleaning and servicing.
Has any one else had problems with corosion on Tohatsu outboards
cheers

What is your actual model? Is there some problem with paint sticking near the gasket parting line of the cylinder head? Did you seriously change entire power heads because of flaking paint? If the aluminum is properly etched, the touch-up paint should adhere very well.

So you bought it in 1987 and have parked it in salt water for 30 years and you see a little corrosion.
Seriously, you didnt give us many facts. Do you have any zink annodes anywhere on the motor?
I notice they are available generically in all kinds of shapes and sizes. I bet they will help.
I think if I was doing touchup, I would be using a two part epoxy primer used on aircraft and
obtained from Aircraft Spruce and Speciality and wouldnt really care about the paint color match.

The model is an 18E2. I have owned it for two years from new. It has been well maintained and all the manufacturers servicing done.
the anodes are fine.
is this a common problem with Tohatsu outboards?

No, no different than any other manufacturer. If the anodes are OK, I would do a Proper cleaning and repaint. Exactly where are you having problems keeping the paint adhered?

The problem is around the gasget area on the powrehead. If you bought a brand new car and the paint fell off not once but three times would you be happy with the product?

What methods were used to prep and paint? Exactly where is the "gasket area on the powerhead"? Is that where the cylinder head mates to the block? Where the crank casting mates to the cylinder casting? Where the exhaust cover bolts to the block? Or where the block mates to the drive shaft housing? Those areas aren't visible when the cowl is installed; If there is just a paint adhesion problem, odds are that proper etching is needed before a touch up. If it seems that there is a structural failure of a casting, I would contact the dealer to see whether this would be a warranty item. The M18E2 has not been available in North America for over a decade, so I am not familiar with newer production of those motors... all of ours are getting pretty long in the tooth.

CORROSON- I have a 2014 Tohatsu 2 stroke 40hp outboard that I purchased new. Corrosion has been a constant issue. Within the first year, a shifting rod in the lower unit snapped in two and had to be replaced. Two years later, the water pump stopped working. Corrosion has destroyed the water pump housing and there is extensive corrosion in the lower unit. Corrosion has eaten up the bushings in the tiller handle. I've been a saltwater fisherman all my life, and I've never seen such corrosion on a motor. I'm slowing down at 65 and haven't put nearly the hours on this motor as I did with other motors in the past. This one has about 100 hours on it in 4 1/2 years. It replaced a 1993 Evinrude 40 hp that probably saw 25 hours a month, and it retired with it's original water pump. Tohatsu isn't honoring the warranty, saying this is a maintenance issue. Is anyone else having this type of problem?

CORROSON- I have a 2014 Tohatsu 2 stroke 40hp outboard that I purchased new. Corrosion has been a constant issue. Within the first year, a shifting rod in the lower unit snapped in two and had to be replaced. Two years later, the water pump stopped working. Corrosion has destroyed the water pump housing and there is extensive corrosion in the lower unit. Corrosion has eaten up the bushings in the tiller handle. I've been a saltwater fisherman all my life, and I've never seen such corrosion on a motor. I'm slowing down at 65 and haven't put nearly the hours on this motor as I did with other motors in the past. This one has about 100 hours on it in 4 1/2 years. It replaced a 1993 Evinrude 40 hp that probably saw 25 hours a month, and it retired with it's original water pump. Tohatsu isn't honoring the warranty, saying this is a maintenance issue. Is anyone else having this type of problem?

Bull.
Your reply about a different motor, with a different issue, a year after the original issue, is not appreciated by anyone on the forum.

The cam rod is SS, so it did not corrode within a year. Period. Something else went wrong.
The water pump housing is a plastic, and does not corrode. Ever. You do know that you are supposed to service any water pump from any manufacturer annually, right?
The tiller bushings are rubber and don't corrode. Ever.

Do you flush the motor after running in salt water?

Last edited:
Back