Logo

Looking for info for early 60 Elgin 12

coltwknight

I recently bought this old Elgin 12 outboard motor. Bought it from a gentleman who said its been in storage for 35 years. Luckily, they stored it properly with some oil, and after a little tune up, it seems to run pretty good. I am assuming it is a 1960-1963 outboard. The serial number plate is completely worn away. I changed the fuel lines and lower unit oil. Seems to be running really well for an old engine. I would like to figure out what year it is, what its model number is, and try to find a manual for it.

Any suggestions on maintenance before I fire it up for the Spring fishing season.

Attachments

• elgin 12 a.jpg
    elgin 12 a.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 257
  • Elgin 12 b.jpg
    Elgin 12 b.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Elgin 12 c.jpg
    Elgin 12 c.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 234
If you can find a pic of another engine with that cowl design you will get close. Have you looked the engine over for a number stamped on it somewhere 571-xxxxx is a west bend and 574-xxxxx is a mcculloch.

If you can find a pic of another engine with that cowl design you will get close. Have you looked the engine over for a number stamped on it somewhere 571-xxxxx is a west bend and 574-xxxxx is a mcculloch.

I have searched for hours, and can't find a pic of an engine with the same cover and a year of manufacture. The modEl number is worn completely off the serial number tag. I'm fairly certain this is a McCullough motor.

That looks just like mine, same problem, the tag is unreadable except for the year, mine clearly says 1954, your pic is the only exact match I have seen. I have searched and Elgin was made by westbend back then, I only show them making a 12 horse in 1955 and after, so I assume mine is a 1955. Model number 571.58901 or 571.58911, I am not sure though. I believe I saw one in the Okoboji maritime museum, I will be there some time this summer and will swing by to look at the tag.

I just purchased this same engine and an Elgin v hull package last week. It has a serial number under cowl but I'm away from it for a few days. I took the carb off to clean and that's as far as I got. I will be home Monday and will repost then. Colt what did you do to the lower end?
thanks

Mine runs, but when it is running , there is a fuel smell and it fouls the water in the barrel it was running in. I can see the fuel/mix leaking down the lower end, but can't see exactly where it is coming from. There are no leaking fuel lines and it is not coming from the carb either. Any ideas? I have a guy that can rebuild it if I can find parts. Still not sure of the model or year.

I thought that too, but I do see it dripping down the lower end while running, stops when shut off. Smells like gas real bad when running.

Well, I decided the best thing to do is clean it up good and try to see where it is leaking. Found several numbers stamped on different parts. on top of the flywheel I found 178B-4129, two numbers under cowling s103-1623 on the left and s103-1688 on the right. Found 189-4883 next to the plugs on the head. Then I came across this one with the year. 61601210, 1954 number.jpg

Those motors are 1959-1963 models. Here is why

#1 McCulloch did not buy Scott-Atwater until 1956/57
#2 The McCulloch/Scott company did not start building Elgin brand motors until 1959.
#3 The Elgin motors are harder to date but since it's a 12 hp I would put it around 1961. Before that it would have been a 10 hp and soon after it was bumped to 14 hp.
#4 It cannot be any newer than 1963 because in 1964 the Elgins were rebadged to actually say Sears on them.
#5 The 1954 elgins were also green. Here is a link to the Elgin website showing the 1954 model line-up. http://elginoutboard.com/sears-catalog-pages/1954-2/
#6 Elgin did not make a 12 Hp in 1954.

61601210 looks like a scott serial # and dates the motor to a 1961 model. McCulloch/Scott put the year of the motor at the beginning of the serial # not the end.

Well, you know more than me, why put 1954 on the motor twice. I also researched and could not come up with a 12 horse in 1954, very confusing. Thanks for the help.

I just found a youtube video of a 1960 scott atwater 12 horse that is a dead ringer, so I would say you are right about 1961 being the year. His has the McCulloch M on the cowl and says Scott where mine says Elgin, otherwise a perfect match. At least I know what year I am dealing with now for parts. Thanks Flyingscott for the info.

Nice looking motor! I have a video on YouTube as well, of my 62' Elgin 12..under Overthetopblues. Im looking for a seal kit for mine..any help would be much appreciated!
Here's the video! https://youtu.be/to1fIRikJo4

The elgin 12 in the video is an earlier model than the ones in the post. I believe your motor was actually made by west bend until around 1959. Your parts will not interchange with the motors in the post because yours is not a McCulloch built motor. You need to find parts for a West Bend, cool motor though the key for the horsepower is unique. Here is a link with info about your outboard: http://www.yankeeaomci.org/feature_outboard-2.htm

Last edited:
The elgin 12 in the video is an earlier model than the ones in the post. I believe your motor was actually made by west bend until around 1959. Your parts will not interchange with the motors in the post because yours is not a McCulloch built motor. You need to find parts for a West Bend, cool motor though the key for the horsepower is unique. Here is a link with info about your outboard: http://www.yankeeaomci.org/feature_outboard-2.htm

Thanks for the link, much appreciated! The Mod# on mine is C571 59561..and it says Simpson Sears LTD Canada on the bottom of the name tag..I was told by someone today that it's a 1961/62?

Back