Logo

nissan outboard starts then stops

bmason1031

i just bought a nissan 4 stroke 4 HP outboard with about 20 hours on it and it looks super clean. I started it up last week it ran for about 20 minutes then stopped in the middle of the creek i was on so me and my roommate paddled to a restaurant nearby, ate, and when we came back it started up and got us back home. When i checked it out after getting home it was leaking gas from the carb so i took the carb apart and wiped down anything that looked gunked up as well as replace the fuel filter. I started it back up again today and it went probably just as far as it did the first time it clunked out on me again this time with no fuel coming out of the carb and it tried to start back up but clunked out as soon as it turned over. Any suggestions on what i should do?

When issue arises again, pull plug and examine,then check for spark with a phillips screwdriver inserted in plug wire and hold driver approx.1/4 inch from plug tower or a good ground source,should see a lightning blue snapping spark in a shady area. A little history on engine might help. Was she stored properly last season? Old fuel in tank from last year? New fuel mixed with old? Is tank vent working properly,check by removing filler cap, Flushing entire fuel system from inside of tank to carbs. might help,lines, bulb,pump,and removing carb. soaking overnight,cleaning thoroughly,rebuilding with new gaskets,reinstalling. Is engine running at normal temp? Can you hold your hand in telltale stream indefinitely?

When issue arises again, pull plug and examine,then check for spark with a phillips screwdriver inserted in plug wire and hold driver approx.1/4 inch from plug tower or a good ground source,should see a lightning blue snapping spark in a shady area. A little history on engine might help. Was she stored properly last season? Old fuel in tank from last year? New fuel mixed with old? Is tank vent working properly,check by removing filler cap, Flushing entire fuel system from inside of tank to carbs. might help,lines, bulb,pump,and removing carb. soaking overnight,cleaning thoroughly,rebuilding with new gaskets,reinstalling. Is engine running at normal temp? Can you hold your hand in telltale stream indefinitely?

Yes. Also verify oil is not overfilled. Odds are the carb needs a Proper cleaning.

Back