Logo

Borg Warner Transmission model identification

baitbag

I have a borg warner transmission bolted up to 210 hp perkins diesel in my boat. Unfortunately there is no name plate on the tranny to identify its model. Are there any notable visual characteristics that I can look for that will help me identify the model type? I think it is a 71 or a 72 series and it is pushing a slow, heavy displacement lobsterboat hull. Also, I have noticed that there is a little lag or delay time between when I shift into gear and when the actual shift takes place. Any suggestion what is causing this and what the remedy is. Also what are the recommended tranny fluids for a 71 and a 72 series BW tranny?

baitbag i'm not a diesel or a transmission expert, but maybe a few pictures might help others on this site help you

I'd suspect it's a 72 series with a reduction gear....the 71's don't always handle the diesel's torque very well....

I've always used the ID plate - it may have been painted over.....

The shift is controlled by hydraulic fluid pressure once the lever is actuated....so I'd suggest starting with a fluid check and then a pressure test....you can find many pdf versions of the service manual via a www search.

Back