Logo

Helm control options for 06 BF200

m smith

Contributing Member
I have a 22' bay boat with two helm stations, one at center console, one up in tower. Currently I have a pair of Morse controls for gear and throttle. I have used them for years but recently have needed to adjust the wires repeatedly on the tower station. I would like to move to a more traditional single controller at each station. What are my options? Thanks

I love those old Morse controls and also have them set up for dual station. However, I normally need to change out the cables every five or six years.

I assume yours are set up like mine, where the most forward helm is linked to the rearward helm, which then goes back to the engine. If the rearward helm cables to the engine have stiffened up just a little, that puts a lot of strain on the cables from the forward helm. So even thought the rearward helm may feel like it's working OK, the problem is often with that set of cables.

[h=1]06240-ZW5-U00 SEE PART DETAILS - SUP; BOX KIT, REMOTE CONTROL (TOP MOUNT SINGLE)(R) (Honda Code 6989172).[/h]
This is the controler that is listed for my engine. Couple of questions...

Does it come with necessary cables?

Can it be tied in with a second control in the tower?

I do not know of any way to connect two of those controls together for dual stations.

One alternative could be this one...

http://www.glendinningprods.com/products/engine-controls/mechanical/177-smart-actuator

It is an actuator that is placed somewhere near the engine and it connects to the engine via standard throttle shift cables.

It is controlled electrically, by shifters that look like the ones the Honda has introduced recently. It does have single or dual engine control available.

There are other manufactures that make this type of arrangement. I have never installed one of these, but have worked on some engines that had similar arrangements from the other manufacturers.

Maybe this will stir up some more ideas from others.

Mike

That looks 'spensive. Tower boats are fairly common down here. Morse controls like I have are not common. There must be some way to connect two traditional controls.

Back