Logo

Exhaust gas analyzer?

bobct

Advanced Contributor
Has anyone used one on a carb' inboard engine? Or, I came across a "color tune" spark plug which replaces the ceramic part of the plug with glass so you can see the color of the combustion and tune accordingly. You install it temporarily while you are making the mixture adjustments.

I guess I'm wondering if there any other ways to really fine tune the Crusaders.

thanks
Bob

If I was going to change any mixture rods/seats in the carb, I believe a temporary EGT system is what I would do. Kinda like tuning an old piston airplane.

Mark, I was thinking the idle mixture and wondering if there a potentially an "upgrade" to using a vacuum gauge. I haven't touched my carbs since I rebuilt them seven seasons ago. I really haven't had a reason too either so I don't want to go looking for trouble. I think I'm running a little rich based upon the looks of the plugs but I know that's not necessarily a bad thing either....

Bob:

I believe there's nothing to be gained beyond a vacuum gauge for the idle mixture adjustment.....that said, especially on the big blocks, the q-jets normally need 'bypass' air to get the idle system to function optimally....without it, they tend to have nozzle drip and run on the 'rich side'....

Just my two cents.....

Back